Broken speedo cable...easy to replace?

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

classicjag
Prelude Enthusiast

Broken speedo cable...easy to replace?

Post by classicjag »

Well my 89 Prelude passed emissions inspection and I got the tags today. However, on the way home I was winding it out on the interstate and had it around 70 mph. When I looked back down at the instrument cluster, the speedometer was dead and it was working just a few minutes earlier. I haven't checked to verify that it's the cable, but I am assuming it is for now, I'll take a look later.

If it is indeed the speedo cable, is it a pretty straightforward process to replace? I imagine the instrument cluster will have to come out, but I wasn't sure how the cable was routed to the transmission and if it was difficult to replace. Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!

classicjag

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Broken speedo cable...easy to replace?

Post by spiffyguido »

Does you car have an actual cable that drives the speedo? Some 3rd gen preludes have electronic speedos, so double check to be sure.

If it does have a cable, changing it is one of those jobs that is easier than it looks, but at the same time, more time consuming than it looks. In other words, you'll have no trouble actually doing it with basic tools, but make sure you give yourself more than a couple of hours to get it done.

I've done it on an 86 lude, and I imagine the process would be the same. Remove the gauge cluster and pop the cable out the back of it. That takes some time, but it's easy. Then, snake the cable back through the firewall and pull it into the engine bay. There should be a small c-shape clip (at least there is on 86 ludes) that holds it into the slot on the transmission housing. DO NOT LOSE THE CLIP! It's very small, but absolutely crucial. Once you've got everything out, reverse the process and reassemble.

If you have an electronic speed sensor, we'll troubleshoot another way.

Oh, and before you do anything, check to make sure that the speedo cable is in fact fitted into it's slot on the transmission properly. If they come up a bit (usually do to missing the mentioned clip), they don't work at all.

classicjag
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by classicjag »

You're a wealth of info Spiffy :)

Last night the speedo just started working again, but I'm sure it will fail for good before too long. Is there an easy way to check to see if it's cable driven or electronic without pulling my cluster out?

Thanks!

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Yeah.

To check, just look down at the top/rear edge of your transmission bell housing, near the shift linkage. If you see a box with wires, it's electronic, otherwise you'll see a huge cable. Have a look, it's not hard to differentiate them.

-Harley

militos
Lude Dude

Post by militos »

Hellow Fellas, just following with this tread, I think I have the same issue with my speedometer cable, works all the time, but some times,,(often)it moves back and wort,,it sdosn't stay still at the actua;l speed, some thime sis reading 85 MPH? going only 65.

I went and look under the hood, I saw only a conector with some whires, so I assume that this car has an electronic speedo.

I hear this noises before on my 1965 Ford pickup, and that was a real speedometer cable,,,,so the noise I lesten to my Car all the time like if is a pice of,,something rubbing into hte housing of the sppedometr ,,is that the sound of a broken electronic spedomether?

Note: I pareciate the previus Help, O replaced my cooling thermostat and my car now, does his thing, the gauge needle stay under 1/2 all the time,,even wen the fan goes on,,the needle stay really arround 1/2 of the gauge dial.

I replaced the Fuel filter, (the one by the engine in the fire wall), and the car dosn't surge anymore, thanks very much.

Air conditioning question, now that my car runs cooler, what makes my air conditioner not running wen I turn on the switch on??
the fan works fine, so I turn the fan on, and then press the Switch for the AC, and the light in the switch ligts up, but the switch just dosn't stay on?

I remember sometime speople disconect the Compresor electrical wire...I have't check on tha yeat....help please..is there a relay? cause I havent seen one yeat in the relay bow, or a fuse that will say AC ?

Thanks.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

There are a few relays on the circuit for the Air Conditioner. They are:

-Condenser fan relay
-Radiator fan relay
-Compressor Clutch Relay A
-Compressor clutch Relay B

I'm not sure where these relays are located.

It almost sounds like something might be wrong with your switch if it won't stay on. That switch can be engaged and disengaged....maybe the mechanism that locks the switch in either position is damaged. The light that comes on: is it green or orange? The AC system will show and orange light on the bottom if there is a problem with the system.

You may want to read the section starting on page 718 in the 1988 Prelude Workshop Manual found in the manuals sections. It has a detailed wiring diagram and troubleshooting flow chart.

militos
Lude Dude

Post by militos »

yes the Light is greeen in the switch wen I press it down, and yes it dosn't engage, it just go back out as I press in..

I'll read the book.
thanks.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

The switch should engage. Perhaps your switch is just broken?

militos
Lude Dude

Post by militos »

Hi, I never replaced the switch in my honda,,do some one know what it takes to replace the AC switch? or do I have to remove the hall cluster out to get to the switch?
thanks.
militos.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

It won't be an easy switch to remove, but you won't have to take the whole dash off either. You may be able to get the switch out by removing the bezel around the stereo and reaching up behind. If you look in the manuals section there are pictures in the manual that show how everything goes together. These will help you figure out how to get the switch out. I believe the AC switch is just snapped into place.

militos
Lude Dude

Post by militos »

O.k, let's see, I went to the junk yard and just pulled off carefully the AC power switch, and it come out easylly (from a wreked car model just like my 3rd generation prelude)..
I did the same procedure wen I went to my carr, pulled the brocken switch, and conected the cable in the back of the switch, and pushed the switch into the front panel, it woks great now.

thanks señor spiffyguido.

One more thing, I know I have and electric Speedometer that's really anoing the hell aout me every time I travel to L.A. Ca. the Spedometer cable sounds like if I have a 1000 Belts scrrming loose, or something,,and the spedometor still works,,but it goes crazy often,,like it reads 85 miles wen I go 60 miles per hour, and so on..

How can I repleced, do I have to remove the hall dash board,,or just that pice that olds the instruments like gauges, and tachometer, spedometer, fuel gauge, temp gauge??

Help please.

Other than that, hte car is running great, every day 100, miles round trip for work to my hose 5 days a week.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Where is the sound coming from? You should have an electric speed sensor (I believe 2nd gen preludes were the last to have mechanical speedo cables), so there is no speedo cable, just electrical wires. Perhaps the speed sensor is whining?

militos
Lude Dude

Post by militos »

Yes, it is Electricla, and the noise is coming from the Speedometer gauge it self in the dash...is like a grinding noise.
I'll opend the front part of the dash,,just were the gauges are,,hopefully is something simple to adjust.
thanks.