Rear window joint wearing away!! (Please Help!)

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Frenchylicious6
Prelude Enthusiast

Rear window joint wearing away!! (Please Help!)

Post by Frenchylicious6 »

Hey, im new to this forum, but i drive a 1994 Honda Prelude Si, and i have a couple small things to fix on this car that i just bought. First, the rear window joint, between the glass and the trunk lid is wearing away, leaving the metal underneath exposed. Do i need to replace it with a new joint? Does it communicat with the inside of the trunk and cause leaks? are there any cost-free solutions?
Thanks Much,
Pierre

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Frenchy,

Thanks for visiting, we're glad to have you.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you're referring to the moulding that goes around the rear window. That moulding is there for appearance, and doesn't really seal out water, etc. The rear window and the trunk both have individual rubber seals that will stop leaks.

If you're worried about the bare metal, you may want to consider touching up the bare areas. A member on this board called 'RedRacer' will be able to help you out because I know he's recently been working with his window mouldings.

Thanks for visiting. If I haven't understood you properly, please clarify and I would be happy to help you.

Frenchylicious6
Prelude Enthusiast

awesome.. thats mainly wat i wanted to know (that it doesn't cause leaks).. so im guessing if i just do some kind of careful paintjob, i could paint the metal black and keep it from rusting?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Has the metal started to rust. If so, it's probably be best to clean up the rust and then touch up the paint. If there is no rust, you can go ahead and touch up the affected areas.

Frenchylicious6
Prelude Enthusiast

ya.. its started to rust, but its an easy clean up, there is hardly any.. and after that i can apply the paint, thank you very much

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

No problem. Happy to help. Be sure to come back if you need any additional help.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Looking at this image, are you talking about the trim itself around the window (the arrow) or the sort of hard rubber flap at the base of the window that can be seen from the trunk gutter when you open the trunk? (circled in grey)

Which are you referring to, pointed arrow or circled thing?

Josh