Few Quetions i need answered no one else has.

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

clarky92
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1983/twin carb et

Few Quetions i need answered no one else has.

Post by clarky92 »

I own a 1983 Prelude, with a 1.8L ET-2 Twin carby engine with a 5 spd box. I have a few questions I cant seem to find answers for.

1. Does anyone know where timming marks are on the ET-2 engine?
2. What engine can replace the ET-2 with out to much hastel (i.e. the engine mounts and K frame) and will add few more HP to the car?
3. Should the ET-2 stay in and will it be worthy of turbo'n eventually
4. Since its twin carb would running a pipe off each carby with a pod, sitting behind the fog light covers (think thats what they are) in the front bar work as a good Cold Air Intake? Would my car benafit from this. (picture showing what is ment)
Untitled2.jpg
5. Why wont my battrey charge with a new altornator and new voltage regulaor?

Thanx for any help (:

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Few Quetions i need answered no one else has.

Post by spiffyguido »

1 - The timing marks should be on the flywheel. It's viewable through the timing port where the engine and transmission meet.
2 - The A20 engines should bolt in pretty easily. These are from the fuel injected 2nd gen preludes and accords from the mid 1980s.
3 - Putting a turbo on the carbed engine should be easier than if you had an A-series motor. Main reason being that the A-series are OBD0 engines, which can't be easily tuned.
4 - Cold air piping would help a bit. Many people opt instead though to just istall a really large K&N filter on the carb end of the engine and get better airflow that way. Or better yet, install a set of larger weber carbs.
5 - If the alternator is new, and you're sure it's working, the problem is likely electrical. Check that your batter connections are good and the alternator is properly wired up.

clarky92
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1983/twin carb et

Post by clarky92 »

Took the car to the auto eleticians today, it was a bodgy wire in the dash at the the back of the battrey light shorting out the regulator, all fixed now. Has cost me over $450 to get my battery charging again.
If i get webber carbs will they be better with the turbo or just the originals? If webbers are good whats a site i can price them from? how much harder will the ET-2 go with the webbers on?
Thanx spiffyguido.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Turbo will always be your best bet, but the webers will be cheaper. Both will require a great deal of tuning.