G/BOX

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Honda Man
Prelude Enthusiast

G/BOX

Post by Honda Man »

Hi,
I own a 5th gen prelude with tiptronic transmission. My tiptronic is now broken and i want to replace it with a manual transmission. I am unable to find a prelude manual transmission and so i want to purchase a Honda Accord F20 5spd manual gearbox. I've heard that this gearbox wil fit on my prelude.
My questions are: is this true?...does the accord box fit into that of the prelude?. I read somehere that prelude transmissions work with cables and that the accord uses a shafts.
Could someone provide me with info?
Thank you

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: G/BOX

Post by spiffyguido »

As far as I know, most of the H and F series transmissions are interchangeable. I'm not sure about whether or not accords use shaft shifting. Most Hondas of that era use cables, so I would have guessed the accord to use cables as well. If it does use shafts, I'm not sure how this could easily be incorporated into your lude. I'd stick with a cable based setup as the ludes are.

Any F series tranny will also have longer gears, so you won't be able to accelerate as quickly. For that purpose alone, I'd suggest searching a bit longer for a H series transmission. They are out there. I see them on eBay from Japan sometimes.

Honda Man
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Honda Man »

Thanks what cars should have H series Gearbox fitted and what year?
Thanks for your help

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Mostly the VTEC 2.2 Litre Preludes 94-01.

Complete list is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_H_engine