RedRacer

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

cd_boake
Prelude Enthusiast

RedRacer

Post by cd_boake »

First of all, I want to compliment you on your website. The diagrams you have in your how-to section have been a lot of help to me.
But I am trying to take off my door panels, and having some trouble.
It is the clips that are giving me grief. Would a screwdriver work to pop them open? Am I going to break them if I force them? Or is that clip remover a scecial tool?

Thanks

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Thanks for the comps. I had a ton of stuff that was hosted on the HPOA site but I never backed it up or copied it........stupid of me. So I feel that my own site is a little sparse, but glad it's been of help.

First, make sure you have the switch trim panel/window/lock swtiches out and disconnected, and then all the screws out. There are a couple that are ''hidden''...like in the armrest pocket of the door where you pull it closed and a couple at the front side under plastic covers.

I never used the tool, just a large flat head (slotted) screwdriver as a pry bar and GENTLY inserted it between the panel and the door to lift and separate the panel from the clips and the door. Then lift the panel UP and off the door. DO NOT swing it out like it were on a hinge in order to remove it. You'll crack the trim or even break the panel at the top. And if you break it, and can't find one at a junk yard, they cost about 679 in Canadian dollars for a new one.

If you can get the tool cheap or have access to one, then use it, by all means. But if you're careful enough you won't have any trouble and most likely won't break it. Just remember, be patient.

There are only 9 clips to separate: 3 on the back/latch end of the door, 4 on the bottom and 2 on the front/hinge end of the door. (See door image for location of clips)

cd_boake
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by cd_boake »

Thanks again.
Do you know how to remove the headliner and the rear interior quarter panels? I am trying to reupholter everything that I am able to myself.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

I have never done either, but the directions are pretty straight forward. I would say the biggest issue is being careful with all the clips and not breaking or springing them.

And like it suggests, remove the front seats from the car (and probably the center console) for freedom of movement and you won't be able to get the pieces out easily with the seats in place.

cd_boake
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by cd_boake »

Is that a manual of some kind that you are getting all of your diagrams from? Maybe I should try to find a copy of that, then I can stop bugging you so much.
:D

specr
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by specr »

yeah brill info!

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

specr wrote:yeah brill info!
It is a 4th gen manual.

Lots of great info.

I'll gladly burn it to CD and mail you a copy if you want. Or if I can find the link, I'll tell you where to go to download. It is a large file though, requires a broadband / high speed connection.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Thanks for the link.

FYI.....I just tested the link download speeds......VERY slow. Be warned, even with a broadband connection, they could still take a while to complete.