petrol in engine oil

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Zack Prelude91
Lude Dude

petrol in engine oil

Post by Zack Prelude91 »

hai spiffy,

just replace my auto with used one.anyway i have 2 problems here.Yesterday i was checking my engine oil level.when i pull the dipstick i can smell petrol on it.i also found that i can smell petrol around the injectors.what should i do?and the other hand..my ecu gives still out code 17 which i believe is something to do with VSS but my speedometer is working fine.somehow the fuel needle is stuck at the full level.can this caused the code 17?how can i fixed it.Really need your advise

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: petrol in engine oil

Post by spiffyguido »

The only way that fuel could get into the oil is if your rings are really bad and some unburned fuel is mixing with the oil. If this was the case, I'd guess that you would be seeing lots of blue smoke coming out the back of your car because oil will also be making it into the combustion chamber and getting burned off.

If there is fuel around the injectors, it is probably due to a bad injector seal. This is something that you'll want to attend to right away. The last thing you want is fuel spilling onto a hot engine....that's a great way to burst into flames. When the engine is cold and the fuel pump primed (key in the on position), give you injectors a wiggle. If any of them leak fuel when you do this, get a new injector seal right away and replace the defective one.

Code 17 is the VSS. This is often caused by defective wiring or a bad speed sensor. Since your sensor is working fine, I'd have a look at the wiring. Your fuel gauge is also electrical, so the fact that it always registers as being full suggests that there is a certainly a short somewhere. I might start by pulling the gauge cluster off and having a poke around the wiring behind it. It's possible that you have a short somewhere in there.

The wiring diagrams in the manuals might prove helpful.

Zack Prelude91
Lude Dude

Post by Zack Prelude91 »

thanks for your feed back,what do you mean rings?are you referring to the injectors
o- ring?oh i got it the piston ring.btw today i brought my car to autoshop and have a checked.The mechanic open the cap of engine oil and smell then again pull the dipstick to smell it and said that i have bad injectors which i have to replace a set of injectors and fuel pipe.In that case i have to look a set of used injectors with fuel pipe which i still looking for it.Then after that flush the engine oil and put new one to prevent engine damages.The second thing whether i can go for computer tuning and confirmed that my injectors are bad.Whats your opinion about that?

Thanks

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

There's information in the service manual about testing injectors I believe. I wouldn't suggest looking for used injectors, you should probably just get some new ones if yours are in fact worn out.

And yes, I was referring to piston rings.