Installing a spoiler

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

B-lude94
Prelude Enthusiast

Installing a spoiler

Post by B-lude94 »

I have a 94 lude and just bought a spoiler (stock) from eBay. It comes with the screws and I don't think it comes with the hole guide for drilling through the trunk!!! Do I need the guide? Where could I get ahold of one? I've never installed a spoiler before. Thanks for the help

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Installing a spoiler

Post by spiffyguido »

I'm not sure if you need a hole guide or not. I would take a peek on the underside of the trunk and see if there are holes in the frame of the trunk lid (the raised sections) where the spoiler screws are supposed to go. My car has these, but mine came with a spoiler.

If you can't fine any such holes, you're going to have to come up with a guide of some sort.

I might take the following approach:
-Place the spoiler on the trunk lid exactly where you think you want it to be. Measure carefully. Make sure it is centered. Make sure that your screw holes will be in a safe place.
-Trace around where the 'feet' of the spoiler meet the trunk.
-Remove the spoiler, and make paper cutouts shaped like the 'feet' of the spoiler and mark the location of the holes.
-Fit your paper guides into the tracings you made on the trunk. Now you should know where the holes are.
-Use a small drill bit to drill a pilot hole. Then use a larger drill bit to drill to the size you need. Go slow so you don't bend the sheet metal or chip the paint.
-Paint the inside of the hole with some auto touch-up paint. Let it dry, then install the spoiler.

B-lude94
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by B-lude94 »

Great!! Thanks for the advice!!! I don't really have the time I thought I would have to install it. Would you be able to refernce any shops that might do it? I live in the Madison WI area. I'm
not sure if you can help with that but I'm just throwing it out there!!! Thanks once again

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Excellent advice and instructions there, Spiff. Of course, I'd expect nothing less than that kind of detail and perfection from you! :wink:

B-lude, I'd suggest a local paint and body shop. Not a chain or franchise. First, you'd be supporting your local community and you'd probably get a better deal and better work. If you know of any local car clubs, or places where guys with Preludes and other imports hang out, drop in on them and ask around. Heck, you might even find one of them willing to do it for a couple of bucks or a case of beer or something. *(Be careful of letting people you pay in beer, work on your car! LOL)

It's really not that hard and shouldn't cost that much. If you go to the right place and are nice, courteous and sincere, you'll probably get a decent deal.

However, if you don't know how body shops work, they have a book that they go by. It has a "master plan" for how many "hours" something will take to do to every kind of car, specifically. How much time they'd have to spend to remove damaged parts, install and paint new parts, etc. So, you may just get a price quote from them telling you they need X-number of hours to install a spoiler on a 94 Prelude and they'd charge you by that labor cost, paint cost (if applicable) etc.

I would think that it's not a real hard or time consuming task. Mine is factory, and it has two bolts on each side holding it on. Looks pretty easy. I personally could do this to my car if needed, but since I'd be terrified of putting holes in my own car, I'd most likely take it locally and pay someone to do it. That's just me. Good luck!