Tail lights and dash lights not working

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

import_lightweight
Prelude Enthusiast

Tail lights and dash lights not working

Post by import_lightweight »

I switched my main lights on the other day and noticed that the dash board display for the speedo and rev counter was not illuminated at all. The other lights on the otherside of the dashboard (petrol, oil and warning lights) are working, but no longer dim when the main lights are switched on.

I was then stopped by the police shortly after, of whom advised that my tail lights were also not working. All indicators, headlights, side lights and brake lights work perfectly. i have checked the tail light bulbs and fuses and none are blown. I have taken off the control switch relay from behind the steering wheel and there isn't any corrosion or bent pins.

Can anyone help??

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Tail lights and dash lights not working

Post by spiffyguido »

If you're sure that the bulbs and fuses are okay, I'd start looking at switches and relays and wiring.

The fact that your brake lights are working but your tailights aren't leads me to think the problem is related to a switch or relay. Have a look at the wiring diagrams in the 4th generation service manuals in the Manuals section of this site. There is probably a relay that controls the tail lights. Double check your tailight bulbs again as well for good measure and look for possible shorts.

Did this just start happening, or did your lude get really wet, get boosted recently, etc?

import_lightweight
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: Tail lights and dash lights not working

Post by import_lightweight »

Thank you for your reply. Yes it just happened when i switched the lights on one night. There is no sign of any water damage.

I will check the wiring today and maybe just temporarily put in a new wire to see if that is the problem. I will let you know what happens.