Rear Toe Adjustable on 01 Prelude?

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

potholeprotester
Prelude Enthusiast

Rear Toe Adjustable on 01 Prelude?

Post by potholeprotester »

Hello all, I'm new to this site but have a couple questions already for my 01 Prelude SE! After taking off my summer set of tires and putting on my winters, I noticed the summer pair treadwear on the rear looked very scary. (both tires) Extreme inside wear and the belt was poking through already on the rear right. The fronts were fine. After taking it in for a 4-Whl alignment, they said that toe should read between 0" and 0.08" , but right rear toe measured 0.18". Then they told me because of vehicle design, Rear Toe can not be adjusted... simple as that! So what do I do!? I thought I'd go to another garage - this time a big name one specializing in muffler and suspension. I showed them the Diagnostic printout, and they said of course it can be adjusted (rear toe). - So who do I believe, and how do I find out whats wrong on the rear end... I want to get those Falkens off ASAP - because they are pretty soft rubber and I was impressed with them over the winter and don't want uneven wear either.

Also, I noticed last couple of weeks, strange chirping noise coming from under hood or near there (Dash maybe?). This is when Its in neutral. When I depress clutch about .25 to .5 inch down, it disappears... Is this somethin serious, or do I just need to buy some silicone lube spray and crawl underneathe the dash and spray the clutch cable?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Rear Toe Adjustable on 01 Prelude?

Post by spiffyguido »

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your tires.

One question I have: Has your car been lowered? If so, your camber is probably to blame for the inner edge of your tire being worn.

Regarding the toe: I know for a fact that rear toe is adjustable on the 3rd generation preludes, and I'm sure it must be on the 5th gen preludes (like yours) as well. Toe is an important wheel alignment parameter. I can't download it right now and check for you, but if you go in the manuals section of this site there is a manual for your car that includes details on the suspension. I think it is the last one listed on the Manuals page linked to at the top of the screen. Have a check there, and I bet you'll find directions on how to do it.

If you can, take your car to Honda and have them align it. If your toe is out that much, your car must have slid into a curb at some point or something.

As for the chirping sound....it happens only in Neutral? If you think it is coming from the clutch, get under the dash and see if it's just the pedal squeeking. If that's not it, we'll pursue other possibilities.

Thanks for visiting. We're glad you're here.