92 H23 trouble with low idle

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

boredomkillz
Prelude Enthusiast

92 H23 trouble with low idle

Post by boredomkillz »

Hi so i looked around a little bit to see if i could find some help with out having to post a new topic. but wasnt able to find a low idle issue, lots of high and jumping but none like mine. just got the car and have had LS engines D series B series ex this is my first H and im stuck. i tried the obvious like the idle control valve, pcv, and egr. so here is the problem my car will start but will not idle on it's own, or when im driving and come to a stop it will die at idle about 90% or more of the time. it will stay on if i keep my foot on the gas to keep the revs up otherwise they drop and the car dies. but keeping ur foot on the gas in a 5 speed can cause some problems lol. but in all honesty anything would help. I've also check for the major vacuum leaks but if anyone has any suggestions as to specifics it would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 92 H23 trouble with low idle

Post by spiffyguido »

Does this only happen once the engine has warmed up? If so, I'd check the coolant temperature sensor (the one located where the upper rad hose meets the thermostat housing). When these go bad, it will often result in the car stalling when the gas is let off. Sometimes this also makes the car very hard to restart once it has stopped.

jvilla
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: 92 H23 trouble with low idle

Post by jvilla »

I have a similar problem but only difference is that my car waste a lot of gas too. I did the jumper to get the obd1 codes but my check engine light just stays on no codes flashing. Is that my ecu then?