92 lude sounds stopped up. Catalytic converter?

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

crizma
Lude Lady
Prelude Model: 1994 S

92 lude sounds stopped up. Catalytic converter?

Post by crizma »

My car was running perfect,has been running perfect since I purchased it over a year ago until yesterday. I stopped at a red light and as soon as I hit the gas it started running bad.

My muffler is one of those real loud ones and suddenly it sounded like a freaking moped, very muffled sounding. The fumes smelled like bad eggs, and every time I slowed down it would die. I could also smell something else, not sure what but it just had a burning smell. I have not been driving it much but I have noticed that I get not even half the MPG as before.

It has lost power, If I used fourth gear now it would require me to put it in third. People tell me it is the catalytic converter but I wanted to see what you peeps thought . Taking it to be fixed today or tomorrow so please respond asap. Just want to know what I am getting into before I go.

Thanks,
Crizma

P.S in case ya need to know , it is a 5speed with 225,000 miles. I think it is a SI

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

crizma
Lude Lady

Re: 92 lude sounds stopped up. Catalytic converter?

Post by crizma »

can someone please give me some advice

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Catalytic converter is certainly likely. I had a friend who's RSX had its catalytic converter clog up and the symptoms were similar. Eventually it gets to the point where the car just won't run at all. The muffled sound is a bit of a giveaway....there's certainly something blocking the exhaust exit. Some carbon build up in the exhaust might have busted free and clogged things up.

crizma
Lude Lady

Post by crizma »

It was my catalytic converter plus I had two plug wires that were not working. Lucky for me to find a good mechanic, that doesn't try to BS me because I am female. My car is running perfect again, not counting my a/c issues ...sheesh! ! I love my Prelude, evem in the Texas heat with no air conditioner functioning properly.

From what I understand I need a compressor, dryer (wth is that?), I think the fan was mentioned. It worked for awhile last year but wouldn't stay cold, figured it had a leak but that would of been too easy, of course.

Thank you for your help Spiffy!

Have a great day . :wink:

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Compressors do where out over time. As long as you're confident that the A/C system doesn't need a recharge, you'll probably want to go ahead with getting the compressor swapped out.