Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: Red's DEAD

Post by RedRacer »

crizma wrote:That was so nice of you!

Thank you

Oh and I get ZERO credit for at least trying??? OK fine, I see how you are. ;)

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

crizma
Lude Lady
Prelude Model: 1994 S

Post by crizma »

Can we have a moment of silence for my 92 lude ? So sad to say that there is no more hope for repairing my car. The price went up AGAIn to 2700.
The entire cooling system need replacing too, and that broke the camels back.

Had a feeling my wonderful car would be taken away from me, cause I loved it too much.

PLease give me your advice on this last decision. My stepdad was going to let the mechanic buy it for 200.00 and that isn't sounding right to me. The interior is perfect! It did come with a salvaged title and I am aware that this takes away from the value. What would you do?

I cannot bring myself to go get my things out of it, too soon. :cry:

Now I am back to the drawing board, in search for another 92 lude si, this time I won't get one without a/c : ) .

Oh, the mechanic charged 500 to take it apart and see what all damage was done, that sound like a fair price?

crizma
Lude Lady

Post by crizma »

Dang, I just got promoted to Lude lady too.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Ouch. That is really sad news. Sorry to hear it.

When you say 'entire cooling system' what does that mean beyond the radiator and the water pump that we already discussed? Surely the hoses and all else are still fine.

$200 sounds like a basement price in my opinion, although I'm not familiar with your local car market. From what I recall the pictures of your lude indicate that the car was in pretty good condition. The salvage title will take away from the value, but $200?!?

If you do decide to part with it, I'd try to sell it to somebody who's interested in Preludes and has the know how to get it back on the road. You'll get more money that way because the person won't factor in the huge mechanic fee to make it roadworthy.

$500 seems high, but I don't know how much time he sunk into it. Often mechanics will do estimates for free, so I'm surprised you're being charged at all, but if your mechanic actually tore into the engine a bit to investigate then it is fair that he should be compensated.

crizma
Lude Lady

Post by crizma »

The cooling sytem is fried due to peanut butter texture (oil and water?) junk that is clogging the lines.
I now realize what cracked the block, and Noway... twas not me that added water :shock: to my over heated car. In a way I sort of wish it had of been my fault, because I am not sure I will have much faith in my guys opinion after this experience. I've never mentioned even suspecting this was what the deal was. Not intentional, so I will just keep the mental note.

Reason I believe this is when I started the car so he could pour water in radiator .. my temp gauge went from HOT as hell to way below Cool in a snap! More like a crack sound than a snap, pun intended. The normal/ average temp has never ever gone as low as it did then. So ya think that was my motors last breath, and my radiator, fuel pump, cooling lines etc?

I'm over it, yup. Whats done is done. :wink:

crizma
Lude Lady

Post by crizma »

Oh, I need your advice on one more matter concerning my 92 lude, please.

Today I am going to take your suggestion and list the car on c.l dallas fort worth . Like you I hate to see such a cool car, that looks great inside and out be salvaged for 200.00 bucks.

I have no idea what to ask for it.
CONS : It is isn't running , a/c doesn't work, needs radiator, fuel pump, top half of motor (non v tec I think), cooling system, title is salavage, 225,00 miles. minor hail dings, slightly chipped paint by headlights

Pro's: Pretty red color, 5 speed, tires are not brand new but still have good tread, drives so smooth, and did drive very fast. Interior is perfect, moonroof or sunroof (whichever it is) works great no leaks. and everything not mention in cons is good.

1992 prelude si. Can you give me a rough idea of what you suggest to list it as?
Thank you : )

I will be an owner of a prelude again, real soon : )
Attachments
before minor hail dings
before minor hail dings
2239084102322.jpg

crizma
Lude Lady

Post by crizma »

and it has 4ws

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Huh.... that's odd. I replied to this post way earlier, even included a pic, and I come back and find that it's not here. Maybe I didn't submit it. Might have just previewed and then closed the window.

Whatever--- so here's trying again.

I think you're right on it with the description you gave. List what happened to the engine and why you're selling, adding in the other major issues that are not all that uncommon for a 20 year old vehicle with a little over 200k miles on it. Then lay out all the good things; good paint, no collision damage (?) no major rust, average tires. List anything newly replaced like brakes, etc. and then stand your ground for what you think is a good price.

I wouldn't take less than a thousand bucks for sure. The good body, suspension components and interior pieces alone are worth that much or more. And keep in mind, 4th gen parts are HARD to come by these days. There's a bargaining chip for you to use for sure.

Start high and go low. Don't be insane of course and scare people off with anything too over the top...... make sure you list that you will negotiate along with your initial offer.

Let people know you know the car and that you had no intention of selling it or getting rid of it until the head blew. Explain that if you had the money and time, you'd keep the car and start from scratch and repair everything. As it stands, you don't have those luxuries of money and time and you need to get moving on finding another diamond in the rough and get back on the road.

I so hate that you lost your car. THAT SUCKS! And it's RED! I didn't know that.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.
---

I miss my Red SO much. One of the last pics I took. The paint looks orange in the direct setting sun, but I assure you it is mirror perfect Milano Red, and in person looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Not a blemish or scratch on it. :cry:
left side full .jpg

crizma
Lude Lady

Post by crizma »

I didn't realize our cars were so similar. You have got good taste there my friend : ) .

Sure do appreciate your help, and I never would have thought to ask for anywhere near that high. You are right though, parts aren't easy to come by.
Once I get it listed I will send you the link.

Thanks again.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Somewhere in all this I missed the part about the salvage title - THAT is a slight problem. Why was it categorized salvage originally?

In that case, a grand for a starting price is probably not going to fly. You can still start there if you want to, but doubtful anyone is going to hand that over. BUT, you never know.

So you might have to look at cutting that in half. 200 is absurd in my opinion. I'd look around say 700 - 500. I'm thinking Kelly Blue Book would have your car, w/out AC and in running condition, say with a "fair" condition listing, probably around 1000 to 850ish. So no motor and salvage combined is a double whammy. :cry:

Sorry if I got your hopes up and then smashed them on the rocks. That salvage title is all the difference in the world in pricing.

No reason to just accept the bottom dollar offer. Like I said, list it higher, negotiate and see what happens.

crizma
Lude Lady

Post by crizma »

Listed it for 600.00 and my phone hasn't stopped ringing. Now I'm wishing I'd started higher. Will let you. Know what happens

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

You can always pull the ad for 24 hrs and come back with a higher price. 4th gens are popular and like I said, they're getting harder and harder to find. So you do have some negotiating power here.

crizma
Lude Lady

Post by crizma »

I didn't know that my motor would be in my trunk, and nuts and bolts are everywhere under the hood, loose.

People tend to steer clear of this type situation, I have learned. LOL

Guy is going to buy it for 500.00 today, he says.

crizma
Lude Lady

Re: Red's DEAD I have a question please

Post by crizma »

sold it for 500.00 sniff sniff.
Today I am going to look at a black 95 prelude si with 100k miles, f22b2, 5speed ac all good.
The man says the only minr problems: abs light on , dirty egr but an easy fix he says. Is it though?

asking 3,000 . Can I get your input please? :?: :?:

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The abs light being on is most often caused by a bad wheel sensor or a missing fuse. Both are pretty easy fixes. If the problem is more serious than that, it depends.

Dirty EGR? How does he know? If he states that a CEL code indicates EGR problems then it probably is just a bad EGR. They're not too hard to replace.

Just have a really close look over the car. You've owned one of these before so you'll be able to tell quickly if you've found a good one or not. At 100k miles there might be a few rattles here and there, but the engine should still be running like a champ if its been maintained.