Door Pop\Creak

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Meddller
Prelude Enthusiast

Door Pop\Creak

Post by Meddller »

My prelude has that loud pop\creaking when opening driver side and passenger door.
What is the best way to fix it? Will grease work or will I need a clamp or strap.
Please advise? Thank you.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Door Pop\Creak

Post by spiffyguido »

Grease fixes many door problems, as long as things are still lined up nicely.

Are you able to localize where the sound is coming from? Bad hinge? Edge of panel?

Meddller
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Meddller »

Everything appears to be lined up correctly. I will give the grease a shot. Is there a superior grease or specific application?
I can't say for sure what's causing the popping, but it seems to be the pin in the door strap. Thanks for the tip.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

It might be the pin as it twists in its socket. The strap could also be getting caught on something. I'd just a waterproof grease if I were you as the hinges do get the occasional shower during bad weather, etc.

Also, check that your door is aligned well. If the upper hinge bolts have slipped the door might be on a tad crooked and putting more strain than usual on the strap, etc.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

That seems to be a Honda thing..... I had the issue with my Accord and do have it with my Prelude. Just the driver's door though. (i guess because it is used the most) I've never bothered to do anything other than put some grease on the checker strap every few months. It's not that annoying and I don't really pay much attention to it.

Just to clarify, the actual door hinge(s) are not making the noise, but the door checker, the piece in the middle of the door that keeps it from opening all the way around to the fender of the car. (i know you know this already, but I'm just saying it anyway for the general knowledge of the masses who may read this after the fact)

There is a pin at the body side of the door-checker strap and the strap itself is bulged in the middle..... The strap between the door and the car body makes the popping as it expands or compresses going in or out of the door checker. If the fittings are loose or stripped, the checker isn't held in place tight and that misalignment in the strap is probably what causes it to make excess noise.

You can go the grease route, and/or try and tighten the screw(s) or bolt(s) - I say both because I've never really looked at the mechanism closely and am not sure which hardware holds it on or how it's connected.

The undisputed king of grease for miscellaneous automotive applications is white lithium grease. Door hinges, hood latches, door posts, etc. It comes in different consistencies. There is a white lithium grease spray for the tight places, and the best for hinges and posts, etc. is the paste variety. (comes in a small tub) Use a small brush and wear some latex gloves and apply the paste it liberally to hinges, checker straps, hood and door posts/latches. And then go around the rest of the car with the spray and hit the door locking mechanism, power antenna posts, gas filler door hinges, trunk, seat rails, door locks, etc.

Good luck!

PS -- just a note -- when using spray lubes, stay away from the light weight stuff. It deteriorates and washes away too fast. Use a silicone spray lubricant, much better results and longer lasting.

Edge2lyfe
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 1998 5spd Base

Post by Edge2lyfe »

While you're at it hit the hood hinges with lithium greese and also the hood latch.