front fork bolt removal (suspension)

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

front fork bolt removal (suspension)

Post by kytarheel71 »

I am having to replace my front driveshaft axles. The problem is that i cannot get the bolt out of the bushing that holds the front fork to the lower arm. This has to be separated in order to replace the axle. It will not slide out(its to big. I have removed the entire lower arm with the fork still attached and the axle in between. I have the locking nut removed from the bolt, i have beat it to death to try and pop it out of the bushing, I have placed the whole thing in a vice and it would not budge. Any ideas??? short of ordering a new one.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: front fork bolt removal (suspension)

Post by spiffyguido »

Everyone has a hard time with that bolt. Their notorious for getting all seized up. The way to get it off that has always worked for me is to heat it up using an acetylene torch (not in cut mode) to get the bolt really hot. This causes it to expand and break the seize, then you can hammer it out.

No matter, if all you need to do is remove the axle I think you can do it without removing that bolt at all.

If you disconnect your tie rod and lower ball joint you'll be able to swing the hub outwards and to the side enough to get the CV joint out of the hub. From there, I think you should be able to take the axle out of the engine and pull the whole thing through the form, thereby removing the need to take the form off at all. If you have to seperate the CV joint to do this, don't be afraid to do so, just be prepared to keep the inside clean and have rags to wipe of the mess of grease that always results when CV joints are worked on.

If you need extra space to manipulate things around, don't forget that you can take the fork off the end of the strut to get more droop in your suspension.

It's a round-about way of doing things, but I'm pretty sure that I've done it this way before and had it work fine.

If you do ever manage to get that bolt out, wire brush the rust off it and coat it with grease before you put it back in. This will prevent future seizing. I usually spin mine out everytime I work on that part of the car whether I need them off or not just so they won't get seized up.

Let me know if this all makes sense.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

I did remove everything, thinking i could slide it out through the fork. What i have now is the axle and the fork/lower arm assembly sitting in my basement. No matter which way i twist or angle it(the axle) will not slide out, the ends are too big. If i need to take a pic so you can see what i'm talking about i can. Not sure if i understand exactly what you are talking me through. I will go look at the parts again.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Did you take the CV joint apart before trying to slide it through the fork?

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

No, But the one i am replacing it with is brand spankin new. I am real leary about taking one of those apart as i have no experience with them at all.
Do you think a propane torch would get it hot enough?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Propane may work. Propane won't get the bolt nearly as hot as acetylene would, but it might get it hot enough to expand a bit and break the seize. It's definitely work a try if you have a propane torch handy.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

Finally got the bolt out. Used MAPP Gas and Oxygen. After several heatings and beating the crap out of it, it finally came loose. I have to order a new bolt ( its destroyed) and i will be putting new ball joints in when they get here. At least i know what to expect when i get to the other side now. Thanks for your help and i'm sure you will be seeing many questions from me in the future because i have many things to fix on this car.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Glad you got it out. We're happy to help with any other questions you may have.