Auto transmission locked up...help

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ve7kilohertz
Lude Dude

Auto transmission locked up...help

Post by ve7kilohertz »

Hi Guys,

Got my donor car running today ('91 Auto) and put it in drive (or reverse) and the engine just grinds to a halt. Dead cold, like the tranny is locked up somehow. Just like the torque converter is locked.

My ignition switch is all apart and I don't know if there is anything electrical in the steering column or switch that may engage a parking lock or ??? There may actually be a problem with the tranny but it seems more like something not disengaging or similar. Is there a lock mechanism on these automatics?

Cheers
Paul

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Auto transmission locked up...help

Post by spiffyguido »

Torque converter may be a good guess. Whatever it is, it sounds mechanical.

Does it just die immediately? Do you hear anything? Does it sound like the tranny overpowers the engine and stalls it? Hit us with a more detailed description of how the engine dies.

Start by checking the ECU codes and the tranny fluid. Hopefully nothing major is wrong with it.

ve7kilohertz
Lude Dude

Re: Auto transmission locked up...help

Post by ve7kilohertz »

Yes, it sounds just like the engine is being overloaded and just lugs it down and stalls within 1-2 seconds. There is no grinding or gear noise, nothing sounds like it is going to expolde. I put a TC lock switch in my Ford Diesel and it sounds exactly like when I accidently flip the lock switch when sitting at a light.

Now that I have the steering unlocked, I may just get it rolling and then put it in gear and see if it's driveable at speed, then when coming to a stop, put it in neutral. Would be like having either the clutch full on or off in a standard.

I finally got back into the UK manual site so am working on the auto tranny section now. There is a lockup circuit and it looks complicated. A couple of solenoids on the outside of the tranny. I may take those off ans see if they are working.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I would like to get this one running so I can move it around the yard under it's own power.

I have more questions on the heads and blocks etc and will start another thread.

Thanks

Paul