Please Help!

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

irate808
Prelude Enthusiast

Please Help!

Post by irate808 »

I have a 98 prelude. It has the factory alarm, but I dont have the remote for it. Its been good for about a year, but now something is triggering the alarm and in turn it will not start! Is there a way I can bypass the factory alarm?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Please Help!

Post by spiffyguido »

The anti-theft system in your car has probably just been tripped. This can happen due to power loss or other cases.

Most people notice this in relation to their stereo system. There is a good description by a user called RedRacer on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=213

that details how to find the code or get it. If you need additional help, let us know and we'll investigate further.

irate808
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by irate808 »

Thanks for the reply! I have an aftermarket deck, and it still plays. My hazard lights are flashing and the car wont start. I tried removing the battery to reset it, but it doesnt work.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Your immobilizer must be activated.

The coding on your key must be defective; you may have to get Honda involved in this. I'm not to familiar with the system, but my research indicates that if the coding isn't in place on your key, your car isn't going to start up for you. This is talked about on page 69 of your owners manual. Here is what it says:

You should also receive a small case containing a learning key. It is used by the Honda dealer to code replacement keys to your vehicle's Immobilizer System. It must not be used in your vehicle's ignition switch. Store the learning key with the key number plate in a safe place. If you attempt to use the learning key to start your vehicle's engine, it may cause a malfunction in the system that makes your master and valet keys unusable. If this happens, you should contact your Honda dealer.

If you need a new key made, take the key number plate, the learning key, and all other keys that came with your vehicle to your Honda dealer. Immobilizer System The Immobilizer System protects your vehicle from theft. A properly coded ignition key must be used in the ignition switch for the engine to start. If an improperly-coded key (or other device) is used, the engine's starting circuit is disabled. When you turn the ignition switch to ON (II), the Immobilizer System indicator should come on for a few seconds, then go out. If the indicator starts to blink, it means the system does not recognize the coding of the key. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), remove the key, reinsert it, and turn the switch to ON (II) again.

If the system repeatedly does not recognize the coding of your key, contact your Honda dealer.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pub ... 00069A.pdf