Shattered quarter window

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Shattered quarter window

Post by RedRacer »

I was driving down I-20 this afternoon coming home from work and for no reason that I can figure, my right, rear quarter window just completely SHATTERED! Scared the crap out of me! Glad I have tinted windows, as that film is the only thing that is holding all the shattered glass in place. Looks kinda cool from the inside of the car actually.

So, I have good insurance and they cover glass replacement at no cost to me. Thank God.

Anyway, just thought I would share.

Josh ........
Last edited by RedRacer on Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

You know, that's funny that should happen to you, because the same thing happened to me a number of years ago. In my case, it was the sunroof.

I was driving home one summer night at about 3am. Not a soul on the road, or anywhere for that matter. All of a sudden..CRACK...a giant set of cracks goes through my sunroof. It scared me too. I thought someone had thrown a rock at my car or something. Noone was around though, it just decided to crack.

I don't know why things like this happened. I think tempered glass just has a mind of its own sometimes. It's nuts!

Hope you get it fixed....and thank goodness for the tint.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Was going to have the dealer replace it, as I had that option via my insurance company. But due to time and inconvenience, I just let one of those mobile glass places come out and do it. However, the trim piece that comes on that glass, it's known as an encapsulated window because the trim is built in...does not match the material from the other side. The driver quarter window is a harder, shinier plastic. This is almost a hard rubber with a matte black finish. Oh well. Cest' la vie. At least it's fixed for now.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Do you think the difference in the encapsulate material is due to the prelude year the quarter window is for? Did you get OEM glass?

I know that the second generation preludes came with two different types of window trip for the same body style; one flat black, and the other hard black with a polished stripe. I know this, because I had to get a new one once, and the fact that they were different pissed me off. I ended up going to the wrecker and getting a used one to replace the new one I had bought just so things would look the same on both sides.

Oh well, you seem happy. Glad you got a window back in.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Not sure what the difference is. I want to think that it's primarily age, but the parts are very different in material composition, so, that leads me to think it's just made differently. I mainly suspect it's because the window piece that was used is NOT a "Genuine Honda" part.

However, I bought an Avery Marks-A-Lot jumbo permanent marker (the tip is like 5/8") and I went over the plastic trim on both quarter windows and they look great. Shiny, solid and black. Since it worked so well, I used it to go over the kinda worn down trim around the back window too. Looks brand new still. And I did this a few months ago. Not even the Alabama heat (it was 102 degrees here the other day) nor my incessant weekly car washing has worn it down.

So, a good idea for others, just be careful that you don't get it on your paint. It is permanent. And they aren't kidding. I ran off just a smidge and I had to buff like mad with a light rubbing compound to get it off.

Just FYI.

(this is the marker I used)

http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=pro ... code=WEB01

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I dub thee: Sir Marks-A-Lot

Anyway.

Great advice. I love finding products that aren't designed for use on cars but end up being the best thing ever.