ecu reading code 4

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

vilaubi57
Prelude Enthusiast

ecu reading code 4

Post by vilaubi57 »

it reads code 4 the chilton manal tells me that code 4 is the crankshhaft postition sensor. it makes the motor hit a rev limiter at 2500 rpm. could it be the way all the vacuum lines are routed. i do know if one is in the wrong place it can screw up everything.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Your crank position sensor is part of the distributor assembly. Check the wiring around the distributor to make sure everything is connected well.

The sensor itself is actually part of the distributor assembly and so if the wiring is not bad, you may need a new distributor.

Let us know what you find.

This won't have anything to do with your vacuum lines.

Which engine do you have? This sensor can sometimes be located near the crank pulley under the timing cover.

vilaubi57
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: ecu reading code 4

Post by vilaubi57 »

THE MOTOR IIS AN H23A1 ITS A 92 PRELUDE. SUPPOSUDLY THE DISTRIBUTOR IS NEW. I JUST GOT THE VEHICLE AND AM TRYING TO MAKE IT WORK. I ALSO HAVE A SPARE ECU AND IT READS THE SAME CODE. SO I ASSUME THE ECU'S ARE GOOD. THE CAR WAS IN A FIRE SO SOME OF THE WIRING COULD BE BURNED IT DOESNT APPEAR TO BE BURNED BUT THERE ARE SOME WIRES AND SENSORS NOT PLUGGED IN. THE ENGINE RUNS GOOD AND ALL JUST THIS ONE ISSUE. HOPEFULLY THIS ENGINE DOES HAVE THE CRANK SNESOR NEAR THE CRANK. LET ME KNOW MUCH APPRECIATED.

THANKS A BUNCH

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Does your ECU say P14 on it? It likely will as you have a 4th gen. P14 is an OBD1 ECU and therefore the Crankshaft Position Sensor should be in the distributor and not on the bottom end of the block.

Another indicator is the year. If your Prelude is 1996+ then it may be OBD2 and would have a Crankshaft Position Sensor on the oil pump in the bottom end.

What year is the car?

vilaubi57
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by vilaubi57 »

ITS A 1992 PRELUDE. MAYBE IM WRONG ON THE 4TH GENERATION. NOT SURE. MAYBE ITS A 3RD GENERATION. BUT ITS A 1992. AND YES IT IS AN OBD1 ECU. LIKE I SAID THE DISTRIBUTOR IS SUPPOSUDLY NEW. I GUESS ITS POSSIBLE THAT ITS BAD EVEN IF IT IS NEW. OR LIKE YOU SAID THEW WIRING IS BAD. ALL THE WIRING AROUND THE CONNECTIONS AND INOT THE LOOM ARE GOOD. EVER HEARD OF TANY PART OF THE EXHAUST BEING PLUGGED AND DOING SOMETHING LIKE WHAT ITS DOING? YET STILL THE CODE 4 NEEDS TO BE CLEARED OVBVIOUSLY. ANYWAY LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

THANKS ALOT MAN

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Yes. A 1992 is a 4th gen.

If the distributor is new, it should be fine. Double check your wiring.

It's possible that other problems could cause the ECU to register an error that is incorrect, but I don't know what cases would lead to your particular situation. Just to be safe though, it is a good idea to give the whole car a once over to see if there is something else that is obviously wrong. Some times one problem will cause another.

If you're ever under the car, double check if you can see any sensor or wire on the Timing belt bottom side of the engine. We're 98% sure at this point that your sensor should be in the distributor, but if for some reason it isn't it will be on the oil pump which is right behind your main lower pulley.

Does the car run?

vilaubi57
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by vilaubi57 »

THE CAR RUNS FINE UNTIL 2500 RPM THEN IT IS HITTING A REV LIMITER. I WILL CHECK UNDER THE CAR FOR THE SENSOR THAT COULD BE AND I WILL CHECK THE WIRING AND THEN I GUESS ITS BUYING A NEW DISTRIBUTOR AND HOPEFULLY THAT WORKS.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Did you ever have any luck with this?