ABS- Prelude 2.2 vtec Jap import

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Willj
Prelude Enthusiast

ABS- Prelude 2.2 vtec Jap import

Post by Willj »

Hi all, I'm new to this so I hope you'll help me out. I am in the process of buying a 93 prelude 2.2 vtec but need some advice on the ABS first. Took it for a test drive yesterday and found that the ABs isn't working properly. I stood on the brakes and the front wheels locked up. Things is the rear wheels left no skid marks so I'm unsure whether they are working properly. The ABS warning light is on so I reckon its not working at all. Got a quote for 75 euros just to get a diagnostic on it. Also the rear discs seem to be pitted so maybe the discs coudl be the problem. I'm getting a good price on the car but I'm afraid that fixing this problem could cost more than I'll pay for the car. Is there anyway I can diagnose the problem myself or is it really just a job for the honda dealer?? Your help would be greatly appreciated I really want this car!!!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Welcome WillJ! Glad you're here.

The first thing you want to check is the ABS fuse(s) on the car. The fuses on that model will likely be located under the hood in the main fuse box. Check to make sure that the fuses are in place and not blown. A blown ABS fuse will cause the ABS light to come on.

Once you're sure the fuses are good, if there is still a problem, try braking normally and see if you feel a slight shudder in the brake pedal when the car slows to about 3mph. Faulty ABS sensors will sometimes cause the ABS to kick in just as the car rolls to a stop. You'll be able to feel which wheel are affected in the car as only the wheels with faulty sensors will shudder.

The ABS sensors are bolted to the main hub assembly close to the rotor. They're prone to damage because of all the debris and water than flys around in the wheel well of a car at speed. Check that the ABS wires are intact and that the sensor end itself isn't clogged up. I've seen sensors start working after being cleaned up well, other times, replacement is needed.

Hit us back with more questions if you need.

Willj
Prelude Enthusiast

Thanks

Post by Willj »

Thanks for that, gonna have a look today, Not too sure about the car though seems like there's water leaking into the inside of the car somewhere, Could be too many problems with this one!! I'll let you know how the abs works out anyway. Thanks again