Audio Code

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

DMBUTANI
Prelude Enthusiast

Audio Code

Post by DMBUTANI »

I have a 2001 Honda Prelude. I changed the battery and the audio doesn't function, as it requires the code. What is the code or how do I get the code?[/b]

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The code should have come with the documentation for the car. If you bought the car from someone else and didn't get the code from them, you're going to have to phone a Honda Dealer and get it from them. You'll need the serial number from your vehicle and from the back of your stereo.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Since that is part of the Honda "anti-theft" system, most dealers are apprehensive to just hand out codes over the phone though. Anyone could have stolen the radio and just call the dealer and ask for the code...if they give it out, it sort of defeats the purpose of having an Anti-theft radio. Call them and ask, and if they say no, ask them if you bring the radio in, will they look up the serial and give you the code?

It's easy to just pull the console, remove the radio and take it to them.

BUT...before you do all this, try one thing:

Lift open the center console storage between the seats and turn your head and look UNDER that lid. Sometimes there will be a white sticker with a couple of sets of numbers. One of those is usually the audio code. Not promising that yours will be there, but I've seen it in plenty.

Beware, the radio will lock out if you enter the wrong code more than 3 times. Or 5. I can't remember. I think it's 3 though.

To enter the code, turn the radio on. The display will read CODE.
Using the numbered preset keys on the radio face, enter the number code. When you enter the correct code, the radio will issue a long beep, CODE will turn off from the display and the radio will turn on.

Once you do obtain the code, write it on a business card and tape it to the inside front cover of your owners manual. Or engrave it on something in the car, like in the trunk or under the hood so you can easily access it. I also use Sharpie marker and wrote mine under the hood on the fender mold inside the engine compartment.

Good luck.

~ Josh

jasong719
Lude Dude

aftermarket decks?????????

Post by jasong719 »

does this apply if you buy a aftermarket deck?

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Not unless the after market deck is made with an anti-theft device built into it.

This anti-theft "CODE" description applies only to original equipment Honda head units.