CAM belt??

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

aceSiR
Lude Dude

CAM belt??

Post by aceSiR »

Hows everyone doing?Well,its time for me to get my CAM belt changed in my 97 prelude.Though i know it needs to be changed every 100k's, i dont know anything else about CAM belts.Could some one pls help me gain some knowledge on this.What is CAM belt?Why we need to change it?Why is it so important?So on and so forth.Cheers guys

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Your 'cam' belt, most often referred to as a 'Timing Belt' is a belt that drives your camshafts in relation to the rotation of your crankshaft. The belt is important because it sychonizes the movement of the valves in relation to the movement of the pistons. The pistons drive the crank, the crank turns and drives the timing belt, the timing belt turns the cam shafts and the cam shafts open and close the valves.

It's very important to change your timing belt so that it doesn't break. If the timing belt breaks, it is very possible that severe engine damage will result. When a timing belt breaks, there is nothing to drive the cam shafts and so valves will be open at the wrong time and will often get hit by the still rotating pistons. This almost always leads to severe engine damage.

Changing your timing belt is moderately difficult, but not impossible. Be sure to buy a replacement belt from HONDA only. When you replace the timing belt, it is also a good idea to replace the Timing belt tensioner/idler, cam oil seals and water pump.