power door lock problem

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Jennascopmom
Prelude Enthusiast

power door lock problem

Post by Jennascopmom »

Hi,
I'm a newbie. I have a 95 Si 5sp with about 115k miles. The car has been fantastic since I bought it used in 2001. The car came with an aftermarket Alpine car alarm and keyfob remote for the door locks.

Intermittently, there's a problem with the door locks. They will stop unlocking for about 2-3 weeks, then suddenly start working again for 2-3 weeks. I can't use the remote or the switch on the door itself; I actually have to reach over to the other side of the car to lock/unlock the door. In my current state of laziness, that's just unacceptable.

I don't think the aftermarket system is causing the problem, since it won't work even with the switch in the car. I'm just looking for suggestions as to what it might be. Regardless, I'm keeping the car for at least two more years, or until the rust totally takes over. It's fun to drive. Thanks!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Jennascopmom,

First of all, welcome to PreludeDriver. We're very glad that you've come here. We're always happy to lend a hand to new members.

Because of the intermittent nature of your problem, I'm going to assume that the problem is electrical. There is likely no problem with the power door lock mechanism itself, but rather, just the wiring.

When your aftermarket keyless entry system was installed, there would have been extra wiring added to the stock system. As Honda electronics are usually very reliable, I propose that you start investigating the issue where new wiring has been added. It might be a simple short, perhaps caused by the bumping around of driving.

You may want to start by taking one of your door panels off and investigating the wires around the power door lock mechanism. Don't worry. Prelude door panels are pretty easy to remove and replace. Once you've taken a more detailed look at the system, let us know some more specifics and maybe we can help you pinpoint the location of the problem.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: power door lock problem

Post by RedRacer »

There was a spambot reply to this thread with a link to some lockout service in MD...

I deleted that post and when I came back, this entire thread had been removed from the 4th Gen forum.

Am posting this "reply" in hopes it will restore the thread to the forum. (looks as if it did -- spiffy, if you can figure out what went wrong, please do, and then this message can be deleted)

I don't know what happened. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Josh

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: power door lock problem

Post by RedRacer »

And just to add -- I had a similar problem with door locks and my system just failing to work. It was a cheap aftermarket system installed by the dealer when the car was brand new. Worked fine for many years but then started acting up. I too thought it was a wiring short. Looked and didn't find any Honda wiring problems.

I eventually got tired of my doors locking and unlocking on their own, and with the system locking me out of the car and not disarming. Nothing like driving down the road with your alarm going off. It did get a couple of people to pull over and get out of my way though -- LOL

I finally bit the bullet and spent about $150 for a new Viper setup. Still works today, even though the car doesn't. lol - sad.

They ripped out the wiring for the old aftermarket system, and the old control box, put in everything new and have had no problems.

I thought mine was a short somewhere too, but turned out the old controller had just finally fried. Guy verified it in their tech bay.

Not trying to dissuade you from attempting to find out if there is a simple solution that will fix your problem....... but that is how I resolved mine.