car bogs and dies

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

jvilla
Prelude Enthusiast

car bogs and dies

Post by jvilla »

I went to start my car and it would not start. Finally got it to start and kept the gas pressed. After it warmed up I tried to move it and it bogs and dies. I replaced the distributor, rotor, spark plugs and fuel injectors. It ran better but when I change the gear it bogs and shakes the car back and forth. I can press the pedal all the way down and it doesnt respond. It slowly climbs up. Now I have a CEL and i jumped it for a code and all I get is 1. SO its the oxygen sensor?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: car bogs and dies

Post by spiffyguido »

Check to make sure your oxygen sensor is connected as it should be. All that shaking might'be loosened something up.

In my experience, bogging is often caused by a bad EACV valve, or sometimes a faulty TPS sensor. When I had a bad EACV, my car would accelerate, but if I pushed the gas too hard, the engine would bog and falter and nearly stall. Worst part was, I never got an error code actually pointing at the EACV. I replaced it after exhausting many other options.

Anyway, start by getting your code 1 taken care of, then see if others result. Double check all aspects of your ignition system as well.