Creaking noise

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

elpachio
Lude Dude

Creaking noise

Post by elpachio »

Hi everyone.

I have a 95 Lude, and during the last few months it has started to make a creaking noise (not all the time) when I turn, or go slightly up a gradient, while I'm parking for example...........usually when the car is cold and at low speed.

It sounds like it is coming from the rear, but a recent MOT pointed out a deteriorating anti-roll bar arm linkage synthetic bush on both front sides.............is it possible that this is causing the creak do you think?

Thanks.

Also, does anyone know what a likely replacement cost would be for 4 brake discs and pads on a '95 Lude?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Creaking noise

Post by spiffyguido »

Bushings can create creaking sounds, so the bushing is a potential source of the sound. There are plenty of bushings in the suspension system as well, so it's quite possible that there might be one in the direction that you've heard the sound coming from.

I'm actually wondering though if it might be a strut that is making the sound. Struts can make a creaking noise like a rusty door hinge as they get older. Simplest way to check for this would probably be to just bounce each corner of the car with your hand to see if you can reproduce the sound. Struts usually have a bump stop on their shaft and this is sometimes the source of the sound.

Here are a few prices I found online for your brake job:

Hawk Performance HPS Rear Performance Ceramic Brake Pad
Note: As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hawk Performance HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad
Brembo Disc Brake Rotor

Obviously you'll need to verify fitment or check other brands of the above. I just chose Hawk pads and Brembo rotors to give price examples. You'll have to choose the brand you want (there are certainly cheaper ones) and make sure you have proper front/rear setups.

elpachio
Lude Dude

Re: Creaking noise

Post by elpachio »

Thanks so much for your detailed and helpful reply, really good of you.

The weird thing is that the MOT showed up my front synthetic bushes as deteriorating, yet the noise seems to come from the rear of the car if my ears are correct.......so I'll ramp the car up at the weekend and do the test you suggested.

Thanks again.