1994 Starting Problem

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

CaptainRG
Prelude Enthusiast

1994 Starting Problem

Post by CaptainRG »

i'm having starting problem.When the key is engaged, all the light on the dash would come on but the starter wouldnt over turn. so i thought was the starter. so i went an pulled out the starter and tested it on the ground... and i works fine. i dropped it back in an the car started, so i thought too myself it could have been a loose wire to the starter. when driving *automatic trans* the light for drive gear is blinking. even when i drop the gear to 3rd the drive light is still blinking even though there is a light on 3rd... not sure whats going on there though but thats minor, need to get the car started 1st.
Troubleshooting
I checked the fuses all good. I pull out the starter again and checked it after it started to see if it was working. and it is. I tried bypassing the ignition switch and starting it manually *same way as if to test it but when it hocked up to the car* that didnt work, it didnt overturn. I google my problem and a lot of the responses that people with the same problem got was the replace the relay. The starter relay where is it located? According to google images is it the extra part that does normally be on the starter? is that the relay i should replace or is it somewhere else? But when i attempt to check the starter, its the ground on the body of the starter and the current wire to the relay and it overturns.. so could the relay be my problem?

If anyone could help me is you'll. after reading through the links that you'll posted the blinking light on my dash could be a code. i honestly dont know what i'm doin but i would try to read the code for that could be telling me something. i dont know where diagnostic connector in my car is located but im going to follow the steps on the CEL thread to start my troubleshooting. Question though, it said that the *check engine light* would show the codes, so that still means that the light that blinking when an if the car is on *the drive light for the gears on dash* is another problem? I would video tape the blinking light CEL when i get there so that you'll could help me more.. but for the mean while is there anything that come to mind?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 1994 Starting Problem

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi CaptainRG,

Welcome to the forums. We're glad you found us.

For your problems with the starter, I would suggest that you start with the troubleshooting steps found on page 23-92 of the 1992 Honda Prelude Shop Manual (found in our manuals section above). This will help you to determine whether the problem is in the solenoid or not. Your starter is clearly working fine, so I think the solenoid may just need replacement. If the solenoid is not in need of replacing, we can start thinking about other potential problems.

If you're still getting the CEL like blinking on the car, follow these directions to get the code: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14

The blinking light in your gear select indicator is probably indicating that the automatic transmission control module is throwing an error code as well. On page 14-34 of the service manual you will find a description of how to extract the error code. Let us know what you find and we can assess how to proceed.

CaptainRG
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by CaptainRG »

ok, so i didnt find the wire to do the CEL.. I checked the wire thats going to the solenoid on a meter an im getting 11.5v or 11.6v reading from it. the battery is 12.6v.. i pulled out the starter and tested it *on the car*, and the starter turns.. On the car just means that i didnt remove the starter from the car, all the wires waz connected and i try to start it the way i would normally start the car.. So its definitely not the solenoid. Cause if the solenoid was bad the starter wouldnt spin an work like it should *i think*. i still removed it and well im going to take it to someone to get it checked. It could be an internal problem with the starter not sure.. Can anyone give me any other leads to this problem?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

It may be the starter itself. One thing I thought about after my last post was the starters will sometimes develop dead spots in their coils with age. This will cause the starter to not work if it has stopped spinning in a particular position. Usually a bump or jiggle to the unit will be enough to get it to go. Your starter seems to be exhibiting very intermittent failures. Since the solenoid is working, the starter may be to blame.

Many owners of 4th generation Preludes also report having problems with their main relays that cause their cars to not start sometimes. This seems to be closely tied to the environmental conditions at the time, i.e. their cars won't start on hot days, etc. If you have detected any such patterns, we can certainly point you to solutions for the main relay problem.

CaptainRG
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by CaptainRG »

im looking for the main relay!! do you know where it might be hiding? i dropped under the steering an im lookin for it not sure if im looking in the correct place. is it any specific color?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

It's on the left side of the steering wheel under the dash.

You'll find this helpful: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=608

CaptainRG
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by CaptainRG »

i changed the starter and the main relay and it still wouldnt turn over. got any other suggestions? i have battery power.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

The starter turns the engine, but it just won't fire up, correct?

Next you have to start troubleshooting the fuel and ignition system. When you turn your key to the 'on' position after the car has sat for a little while, do you hear the fuel pump prime?

CaptainRG
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by CaptainRG »

the car wouldnt turn over. with the starter hocked up but not in the place on the engine and the ignition key is turned, the starter moves as it should. when i placed it in the car an turn the key, it wouldn't turn over the engine. i dont think the car has a fuel pump primer..

CaptainRG
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by CaptainRG »

i checked the volts:
battery: 12.6V
solenoid:11.5-11.6v

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Ok, thanks for clarifying. For whatever reason I thought you had progressed to the point where you could get the engine to turn over.

The fact that the starter will run when it is hooked up the car but not bolted in leads me to believe the starter itself is problem fine. When testing in this manner, I imagine that you've also been able to confirm that the solenoid is engaging the starter pinion gear.

It occurred to me that there is another component that you should probable be checking: the neutral safety switch. These can sometimes cause intermittent starting failures.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=862