Headlight Malfunction

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

blacksheep
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 2001

Headlight Malfunction

Post by blacksheep »

Bought my 2001 Prelude a bit over five years ago. I've had an intermittent problem with the headlights not coming on when I turn the switch. I cannot equate it with anything like humidity, phase of the moon etc. If I actuate the switch long enough or wait long enough (and that time varies according to no particular scheme), the lights eventually come on when I turn the switch. No other lighting or electrical problems. Seems to me it's probably the headlight relay or the switch itself. Anybody have any similar experience? Thoughts?

Thanks In Advance,
Steve

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Headlight Malfunction

Post by spiffyguido »

I'd guess the switch itself. A relay wouldn't fail like that. If you wiggle the switch or switch it on an off does it change the behavior?

blacksheep
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 2001

Post by blacksheep »

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Seems no amount of wiggling the switch, switching from parking to headlights, switching from low to high, engine on/engine off, can reliably make any difference. It acts as though it has a perverse mind all its own.

I might add that in the past, I have switched from low to high or vice-versa (dimmed for oncoming car or selected brights for dark road) and had the headlights go out. That was scary the first time it happened.

Steve

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Ugggh...having your headlights go out would be scary.

It's got to be the switch. It's probably worth digging into the wiring near the switch on the steering wheel. Have a look at the 5th gen service manuals (see manuals section) for more info. I'm not a 5th gen expert, but in older ludes there is a bunch of wiring in the steering console that may be the source of your trouble.