Looking into 5th Gen Prelude

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

chasingchaz
Prelude Enthusiast

Looking into 5th Gen Prelude

Post by chasingchaz »

I am on deployment at this current time and im lookin into getting a 5th generation Prelude when i get back are there pointers or tips i should know when shopping around for one that i will like and have fun in building up.
In other words im wondering if there are problems right off the back i should look for, because i have had my eye on Honda Preludes for a while but i have only owned Fords my first car was a 74 Mustang and me and my dad built that back up and after that i had an 03 Ford Focus for the reliability and gas now im lookin into a light car with some speed...hints the Prelude...
Im not lookin for one that already has a bunch of aftermarket mods done to it i wish to do all the work myself it just seems more personal to me like this and i will appreciate it more....

Thank you

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Looking into 5th Gen Prelude

Post by spiffyguido »

They're great cars, and don't really have many common problems.

The most important thing is to just try and find one that has been well taken care of. Since you're looking for a 5th generation Prelude, it's highly likely you'll be able to find one that is a one-owner car, with reasonably low mileage. Be patient in your search, and be prepared to spend a little extra for a really nice Prelude. If you buy one that has been well taken care of, and everything is in good shape, it will last you a VERY long time.

Get home safely!

chasingchaz
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by chasingchaz »

yea i have been doing a lot of research into them alot of my friends are telling me to stay away from the prelude and get an 03 cobra or something but im really attracted to the prelude its an awesome car and it seems fun to work on without putting me outta house and home..
as far as pricing for a well takin car of 5th gen prelude what do you think would be a good roundabout estimate to expect

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The price depends a great deal on where you're from.

The key is really to just start searching auto listings every few days as you lead up to the time when you are ready to purchase. You'll start to see trends in the pricing, and be able to pick out good deals. Coming into a potential auto purchase knowing exactly what the car you about to buy "should" sell for is invaluable information when it comes time to haggle with the seller.

In my experience, when buying a car in premium condition, there are a few scenarios that are possible:

Scenario 1: The owner is the first owner of the car. These people are great to buy from, because they often will have taken very good care of the car, as they've had it since new. Personally, I like purchasing cars from first owners, because the cars are often in great shape and have been babied. These sellers will often over-estimate what their car is worth. Don't be surprised if you see one-owner cars listed for a few thousand more than they're actually worth. This is just a sign of the owner not realizing the full impact that deprecation has had on their vehicle while they've owned it. When you go to see such cars, be sensitive to the opinion of the owner, but if you decide you like the car, be prepared to back up what you're willing to offer. They'll often be stubborn, but if they're motivated to sell, you can usually get them to accept reasonable offers.

Scenario 2: The owner loves the car, but has had to replace it for some reason (child on the way, moving, etc). If you find one of these people, you've hit the jackpot, because it's likely you'll get the car for a great price. These people are highly motivated to sell. Don't expect to be able to rip them off, as they know perfectly well what their car is worth, but they will bend deeply on the price to see the car sold. If you come upon such a situation, come out of the gates with a decent offer that doesn't under-cut their selling price so much that it offends them. The seller will weigh the offer against their list price and how badly they need the car sold. If it all balances out, the car will sell. Be wary of sellers to seem motivated, but actually aren't. For example, a baby on the way....in 8 months. You want the person that is moving in a week, not in 6 months.

Scenario 3: The owner knows nothing about the car, but is responsible for selling it. Perhaps a parent is selling the vehicle of their child who has just gone to college. Or perhaps an estate is being sold off, etc. This scenario doesn't come up very often, but if it does, jump on it. In this case, you're dealing with someone who doesn't know anything about what is being sold. You can use that to your advantage. Not knowing any better, they may have mistakenly listed the car for far less than what it is worth. If the list price is a good deal, give them their asking price and seal the deal quickly, because another buyer will be right behind you. One of my friends bought a Prelude under such circumstances, and the deal was excellent. A widow had listed her late husbands Prelude (which was in superb condition) and had put the selling price at about 60% of what the car was actually worth. My friend got their first, gave her exactly what she asked for, and sealed the deal quickly.