fault finding.... brakes

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

sumzimma
Prelude Enthusiast

fault finding.... brakes

Post by sumzimma »

After changing the front pads, bleeding the system and cleaning the sensors, i am still getting a shudering from braking (hard) however the indicator light does not stay on whilst the engine is running, what should i look at next?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: fault finding.... brakes

Post by spiffyguido »

Let me clarify something:

Are you referring to a shuddering coming from the brake discs any time you brake, or are you talking about a shuddering coming from the anti-lock brake system?

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Even though this post is old, and the original poster never came back with any further info, I just wanted to say a couple of things anyway.

If the ABS dash light is not on when the engine is running, then the ECU is not finding any fault within the ABS system and that means it is functioning as it should.

Shuddering that you can feel in the steering when applying the brakes is not an issue with the ABS. What it is a sure sign of is warped front brake rotors. Honda's are built so tight when it comes to front suspension/brake components, that when anything goes awry, it is VERY noticeable and obvious through the steering column/wheel.

You may also feel pulsing in the pedal when you are dealing with warped rotors. Yes, it is somewhat similar to the pulse you feel when the ABS system is active and pumping the brakes, but it's also very different. AND anytime the ABS modulator is activated, you are going to hear the motor through the front passenger side firewall. You will know the difference between bad rotor pulse in the pedal vs. ABS pump pulse.

As for what to do about the warped rotors...... well, if they're not run-out too bad, you can sometimes have them turned (Honda front discs have to be turned ON THE CAR) but in most cases of bad warps, you have to replace the rotor. (or the warp core ;) ) Standard OEM rotors are not expensive. DO NOT put new or turned rotors on a wheel and then install the old brake pads. Replace the rotors, replace the pads.

prelude95
Lude Dude

Post by prelude95 »

redracer is right! :)ha ha