In Need of Reputable SoCal Mechanic

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

Fedor76
Prelude Enthusiast

In Need of Reputable SoCal Mechanic

Post by Fedor76 »

I'm living in Redondo Beach area and I pretty sure my clutch is on its last leg. ~20% of the time there is a grinding while shifting and the throwout bearing is squeky in first gear. I've recently replaced the clutch master cylinder at the dealership and it was pricey. I asked them about a clutch job and they want ~$1500! I was hoping to find a local mechanic/shop that I could bring them OEM parts and they would install it for me. I called a local dealer and the price they quoted was disc-$125, pressure plate-$187, and the throwout bearing-$72. Is there a better place to get the parts needed? Are those 3 things all I need? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: In Need of Reputable SoCal Mechanic

Post by spiffyguido »

The grinding gears could be due to bad synchros. A bad clutch is indicated by the engine 'slipping' when you try to accelerate.

What do you mean the throwout bearing is squeaking in first gear? The throwout bearing could only squeak when the clutch pedal is in, and will squeak no matter what gear you are in.

You can likely get those OEM parts cheaper from a website like www.hondaautomotiveparts.com.

I don't live in SOCal, so I can't suggest a mechanic. Perhaps someone else will be able to give you a hand.

Fedor76
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Fedor76 »

Spiffy,

What I meant about the squeaky noise was when engaging the clutch in first from a standstill until I'm moving. I just had the master cylinder replaced and I'm hoping that it is air in the line. This could cause a grinding/difficult engagement right? I will take it back to the dealer tomorrow. Also the grinding/difficult engagement seems to happen more in higher rpms. Is this significant?

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

All those things could be caused by the clutch not fully disengaging. I'm not sure about the high rpm problem. Usually it is hardest to shift into 1st gear when stopped.

Before you go ahead and tear out the clutch, make sure that your clutch hydraulic line has been bled properly. The last thing you would want is to pay to have a perfectly sound clutch replaced.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Clutch problems are such a pain. That price is about right to replace a clutch at a dealer. You might be lucky to find a shop that will do it for around $900.

If you're familiar with NPR - (National Public Radio) then you know the Car Talk guys who are on every Saturday morning....

They have a great website and their show is very reputable....you can look around their mechanic locator and read reviews and maybe find a good Honda shop that can get you a good deal.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/find.html Enter the make of your car and your zip and then read up on the shop and the reviews.

These two shops have a lot of reviews and pretty good referrals. (I used the 90277 zip - don't know if that's your part of Redondo Beach or not)

http://www.cartalk.com/ct/mechx/shop.jsp?id=13085

http://www.cartalk.com/ct/mechx/shop.jsp?id=25885 < Lots of good Honda reviews for these guys

The link Spiffy gave you for parts is about the best price you're going to find for OEM Honda parts. They're cheaper than most and they are a REAL Honda dealership. Shipping might get a little pricey, but usually still works out cheaper.