96' Prelude

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

DJMonkey
Prelude Enthusiast

96' Prelude

Post by DJMonkey »

im looking to join the Prelude family and purchase a 96' prelude s. anyone have any advice on buying it, thanks.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 96' Prelude

Post by spiffyguido »

Great decision.

Sounds like you've chosen the model you want already, so I won't offer any advice in that area.

Regarding actually finding a good prelude:

Try to find a car with low miles and that looks like it has been well maintained. I often search for cars that are only on their 1st or 2nd owner as these have typically been very well maintained.

Check for rust in the usual Prelude spots: Around the rear fends wells, the bottom of the trunk lid, and at the crimp points on the body under the car.

Take it for spin. THe engine should run strong and smooth and pull hard. Listen for suspicious creaks, rattles, groans, clicks, etc. Preludes handle very well, so the car should feel very 'planted' on the road. If it's bouncing all over the place it may be in need of suspension repairs.

Look for basic things as well. Ask the see the car's maintenance history. Ask when the timing belt was last changed. Check that the tires, paint and interior are good. Getting a car with low mileage is also a good idea, although it is by no means the only thing to look for.

Hope that helps.

Hit us back if you have more questions.

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Re: 96' Prelude

Post by S-LudeDan »

also keep in mind that a 96 Prelude is OBD2. The 92-95 are all OBD1, making them easier to mod, but don't listen to anyone! '96 is the best year in the 4th gen family! That year has many tiny variations that other years did not have!

I drive a '96 myself! :D