door locks and sensors not working

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

soothsayer
Prelude Enthusiast

door locks and sensors not working

Post by soothsayer »

hi new member with 1992 k reg prelude.. i just purchased this car and sorted most of the niggles however i have one issue outstanding ..the central locking isn t working and neither are the door open /close sensors ..the doors open light comes on when light check at ignition ..but not if i open the door same with interior light dosn t come on when opening the door but works on the switch ..it seems at some point had an alarm fitted which now dosn t work but the person i purchased it off said the alarm has not worked since he s had it but central locking has ..i am presuming the control box has gone but wanted to check ..all other door electrics work eg mirrors /windows ..thanks

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: door locks and sensors not working

Post by spiffyguido »

Your issues with the interior light are probably due to the door switches (usually located on the inside of the door jam, either at the front or the back of the door, in the body panel). It's not uncommon for those to go bad. It certainly has been an issue in the Preludes that I've owned over the years. I'm not too familiar with the door switches on a 1992 Prelude, but on a 1991, they can be easily taken off and usually repaired. The electrical contact on the switch just gets a little bit worn from repeated door closings, and can be fixed up. I'd have a go at seeing if you can repair the switches you have. That's most likely the problem.

Regarding the central locking: I'm going to predict that your problem is related to the alarm system that is no longer working. You can also check fuses. When the alarm system was installed, they would have introduced some new wiring into the car to control the doors. It's very possible that this wiring has failed or is interrupting the way the car is supposed to function. I'd try to dig a bit and see if you can discover where the breakage is.

soothsayer
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: door locks and sensors not working

Post by soothsayer »

cheers for the response ..i acquired a control unit at a scrap yard and it sorted the problem