Need help programming remote for 98 prelude. Please

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Remote programming

Post by spiffyguido »

Sorry, I don't understand.

Are you referring to your keyless entry remote?

Sandklan1
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Sandklan1 »

Yes thank you. sorry i meant to say keyless entry remote. can you help? its for a --98 prelude

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

For something like that, you'll probably need to take the remote to Honda and get them to program it. I don't think that something like that could be done at home. They'll be able to do it for you for sure.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Works for 1998 - 2002 Accords, up to 2004 Element, Odyssey, Civic and CRV. So I think it should work for your 98 Prelude. But I can't guarantee it. You've got nothing to lose though, as the remote isn't working right now for you or you wouldn't be here asking for help. So give it a go and see what happens.

Doing this WILL CLEAR THE TRANSMITTER OF ALL CODES. It creates new ones so you have to do this for ALL remotes, even if one is currently working.

Timing is ESSENTIAL when programming. Make sure you've read the directions completely, at least a couple of times before you begin. Do this when you won't be interrupted and the car and remote have your full attention.

Enter the car, and close all doors.

Each of the following steps must be completed within five seconds of completing the previous step. If you take longer or make a mistake, start the entire procedure over again.

Insert the key into the ignition, and hold the remote in your left hand. You're going to be using your right hand to turn the key in the ignition switch. Whenever the instructions say to press the LOCK button, you should press the lock button on the remote for about a second and then release it.

Perform each of the following three steps in order, then repeat all three steps two more times, for a total of three times each:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, marked II.
2. Press the LOCK button.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position, marked I.
Do this three times!
Next, turn the ignition switch to the ON position (II) for a fourth time.
Press the LOCK button again.
The door locks should now make a cycling sound, indicating that the system has entered Programming Mode.
Press the LOCK button one more time to program this remote.

If you have other remotes to program, press the LOCK button on each one in turn.
The door locks should make the cycling sound after you press LOCK on each remote.
You may program up to three remotes, and they must all be programmed within ten seconds of each other.
Turn the ignition off and remove the key. The remotes are now programmed and may be tested.

If you've got a trunk/hatch release, you have to hold the button for this function for a few seconds to make it pop the trunk. It's a default safety set up to keep the trunk from being popped if you just bump the button. Press and hold for at least 10 seconds for the trunk to release. In case you didn't know. Some people don't.

And like I said, I can't guarantee that this will work. I hope it does. The remotes are pretty standard for the past 10 years or so. If it doesn't work the first time, don't assume it just won't work on your car. Try it again. I'd say try it a few times before giving up. Have patience.

Good luck, let us know if it works for you.

~ Josh