Fuel Pump Replacement?

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

jmartinez06
Prelude Enthusiast

Fuel Pump Replacement?

Post by jmartinez06 »

Hi there, looking for some help concerning my 1993 2.2 non vtec prelude. I'm trying to replace my fuel pump but so far i have not gotten very far. I think the service port is behind the back seats in the trunk and I've taken out that metal shield on top of the round cylinders. Now I've noticed that there's two Big round cylinders, the one on the left has a fuel line going to the cylinder and the one on the right has only an electronic thing coming from it. Which one do i need to open for the fuel pump and how? i tried opening the one closer to the driver's said but i can't take the cylinder out. is it the one on the passenger side? I'm so confused. anything will help greatly. thanks. pictures would be great too.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Fuel Pump Replacement?

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi jmartinez06. I'll help as best I can.

The fuel pump on your car is located inside the gas tank. The access ports in your trunk will allow you to get to at the top of the fuel tank and remove the pump. I'm not sure what side of the car the pump is on. Just follow the main fuel hose (not the return hose) and you should find it. My guess is that it will be on the driver's side, but I could be wrong.

Why were you not able to open the access hole on the driver's side? Seized bolts?

Also, don't forget to check the manual in the Manuals section. There are diagrams in there of everything.

jmartinez06
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by jmartinez06 »

thanks for your help spiffy!
well iwas going to the service port in the back and the main fuel line goes over the plate where i assume the pump is. After doing some extra cutting to make it larger, i can't seem to take it out, it's as though the fuel pump is stuck...
i'm going to assume its the on on the right which is the driver's side.
Attachments
0921091213.jpg

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Yeah, it's definitely the one on the right. I can see the banjo bolt for the main fuel line. I would imagine that the whole right piece would lift out of the tank. There must be something holding it in place. Is the seal around the edges just stuck? Is there a bolt that comes up from the bottom? Have you reviewed the schematics in the manual?