AT vs MT: Engine Mounts

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

jamancol
Lude Dude

AT vs MT: Engine Mounts

Post by jamancol »

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have a 95' Prelude SI with the H23 engine and Automatic Transmission. Do to vibration, I am thinking of replacing my engine mount rubber with urethane, and have been looking at the Energy Suspension kit. Now the kit says its specifically for the MT transmission. My question is: What is the difference between the motor mounts for the MT vs AT? Why would the kit not work on a AT? And if anyone has tried using this kit on a AT?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: AT vs MT: Engine Mounts

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Jamancol,

Welcome to PreludeDriver.

The mounts should be the same between the transmission. For sure the three from the engine will be the same, and I would be very surprised if the tranny mounts were different. We could check the part numbers to be sure, but I don't believe this will be an issue for you.

jamancol
Lude Dude

Post by jamancol »

Looks like your absolutely right. I just checked the part numbers for the motor mounts of both the AT & MT. They were the exact same, so I guess they would have to fit. Wonder why they say manual only on the Energy Suspension web site....

Thanks for the reply

jamancol
Lude Dude

Post by jamancol »

I think I just found my answer. This was on another site selling polly mounts...

"Is there excessive increase in vibration with the stronger urethane motor mounts?
This is the most commonly asked question concerning our motor mounts. There have been no precise measurements of vibration done compared against the stock motor mounts. We do not recommend these mounts on automatic FD's. There is a big difference in the load characteristics that increases vibration as a result of the automatic transmission. But we do recommend them for all manual drive high-performance. Verbal descriptions from one driver to the next can read like night and day sometimes. We describe it as noticeable only at low rpms, when starting out, but nothing that is really excessive or uncomfortable. Most customers agree and are happy with the results, but there are a handful of drivers who report that the vibration is excessive to them. So use your own judgement. There is going to be some increase in vibration due to the characteristics of having a stiffer motor mount. This should be expected by design. The stock rubber mounts do reduce more vibration but in doing so they do not last very long when repetitive stress is placed upon them. Many performance modifications sacrifice some degree of streetability comfort while enhancing performance. This is the choice that drivers must make when making goals and expectations. But again, we standby the description as being minimal and more responsive to the driver."

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

I've driven a 4th gen with these mounts in, and you do feel the engine vibrations more. For people who like to be 'in touch' with their cars, this is usually a nice thing. You do feel vibrations, but it increases feel for what the car is doing. I liked it.

lude66
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: BB4

Post by lude66 »

well i know for a fact the AT mounts for the tranny will bolt up to an MT but when i did it i found the was a problem with lineing the other mounts up it sets the off a 1/4 of an inch to a inch off