Unknown Bolt

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Derek R
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 92 SR

Unknown Bolt

Post by Derek R »

From my previous posts I have told you all the I have replaced both timing and balancer belts as well as the clutch on my 1992 Prelude with a 2.3l engine with 5 speed tranny. I marked all the parts as I took them out but I never thought about the fact that I have two farm cats both under two years old who have full access to all the building on the acreage including the garage. Two nights ago one or both of them entered the garage and found some nice new toys to play with. When I entered the garage the next day I found nuts and bolts all over the place I have managed to find where they all came from except one. I will try and include a photo I have taken of the bolt if anyone can identify where on this engine it came from it would be greatly appreciated. If the photo doesn’t come through I will try again.

Thanks for all the help
Attachments
Bolt 02.jpg

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Unknown Bolt

Post by spiffyguido »

Wow, this is the coolest game of Jeopardy ever!

Is that one of the bolts that the timing belt tensioner springs hook onto?

Derek R
Lude Dude

Post by Derek R »

I believe both those spring attachments bolts are installed and accounted for but I will check for sure tonight and let you know.

NEXT Guess! LOL!

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

By process of elimination, can you determine whether it came from the tranny side or the belt side of the engine?

Derek R
Lude Dude

Post by Derek R »

Not yet I didn't get a chance to look at the car last night, family stuff came up as for this weekend the car is going to have to wait till next week as I will be out of town this weekend. I was hoping to have this car back together by now but life keeps getting in the way. LOL. Monday night when I get home I will get back under the car and see about your guess as to the bolts proper location. I'm hoping your correct, as fun as this guessing game is I want the lude back on the road, more fun to drive then to look at. Have a good weekend. and thank you again.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Looks very similar to the screw that threads through the balancer driven gear, BUT I am pretty sure it isn't. Too much smooth space between the head and the first flare. I know, doesn't answer your question.... I'm still working on it. :wink:

Derek R
Lude Dude

Post by Derek R »

I finally got back to working on the car, it's all back together and runs great. Ther unknown bolt mystery has been solved. It was off the transmission speed sensor, the bolt that hold the speed sensor on the tranny. Good to finally have the car back on the road. My son is putting the miles on her again, Had a small oil leak the day after it was back on the road but it turned out to be the oil pan drain bolt washer needed to be replaced, I have a new washer on order but I replaced the old one with a teflon oil pan washer till the proper metal crush washer shows up from honda. Thank you everyone for your help trying to figure it out.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Always good to know there's another 'lude out roaming around Alberta.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Well I was still digging around in the clutch mount/area. Hadn't looked at the first page of the manual install/removal....but here it is..... just like you said. Glad you found it. Nothing worse than "leftover" items when putting something back together.
Image1.jpg

Derek R
Lude Dude

Post by Derek R »

That's the photo alright, as soon as I went to install the speed sensor I noticed I had no mounting bolt for it. Once I looked in the manual and saw the photo I knew I had found the right spot. Thanks again for all the help. Spiffyguido if I have my way this lude will be around for alot more years. Love the car and what a blast to drive.