Hello again from b21a1 land

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

Hello again from b21a1 land

Post by 1990whitepreluded »

Guys all I hear about this engine is crap from all over the web. The engine seems strong enough...I suppose it gets crap because of the vtec stuff out there now. Anyway I am going to stick with the b21a1 and get her running like new. It is getting better, however it seems to take longer than I would expect to get first gear up to speed. In 2,3,4,5 it runs out fine. Unless I burn the clutch in first it takes its merry time getting up to speed. Is this normal, or is there a way of making this thing develop more power on the low end? Anyway I suppose headers and a good set of pipes out the back would help, as well as a k&n on the intake side.

Thanks again as always,

CC

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Hello again from b21a1 land

Post by spiffyguido »

The B21A1 isn't crap at all. It's actually a very good engine. A lot of people are critical of it because B21A1 engines do go through piston rings quickly, but this is only due to the exceptional material (FRM) used to build the cylinder walls. If you haven't heard of this before, I can provide more information. Honda was seriously smart when they built the cylinder walls of the B21A1.

Regarding your acceleration: The 1st gear of the B21 tranny is actually quite short, so you shouldn't have trouble getting it up to speed. Does it feel like the engine isn't pulling, or is it more a problem of getting the car to 'hook up' when you launch.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I'd love to hear more about your issue.

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

Post by 1990whitepreluded »

Yeah I like the b21, and believe it or not she doesn't use any noticeable amount of oil....very surprising for 176000 miles on her....I think I am on the brink of getting her close to right. She is going in for a nice new white coat of base coat clear coat soon.....Ill be posting pics before and after.

CC

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Sweet. Can't wait to see those pics.