89 honda prelude si

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

cucurumbe
Lude Dude

89 honda prelude si

Post by cucurumbe »

Hey i have a si that i want to fix up. I'm new at the import thing so I am looking for some guidance. I was planning to go thru the entire car but I want to start on rebuilding the motor. What should I upgrade and more importantly where do I go for the parts? I've been lokking on the internet for info and have been coming up dry. Please help!!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Re: 89 honda prelude si

Post by S-LudeDan »

My friend, there are virtually no motor mods available for 3rd gens. The best thing to do for you will be a completely new motor swap. Like the K series or the H series motor. Can you post some pics of your ride?

cucurumbe
Lude Dude

Post by cucurumbe »

hey i 've got the pics but I'm not even sure how to post them. Also i wanted to say i think she runs good right now i just want a little extra something. But please expound on the motor swap and thanks in advance.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

There are some parts out there, but not a lot.

Bottom line is that if you're looking to do an engine rebuild you're doing so more or less on your own (and with help from this forum). Don't expect to find a kit or anything.

That being said, there are things you can do. Last I heard, Crower was still doing custom cam regrinds, so you can get a new cam for your car. Pistons that fit are available from several companies such as Arias, CP Pistons and JE Pistons. They won't be listed under "1988-1991 Honda Prelude" but rather other cars. Our motors share a similar bore size with other Honda engines.

See here for some info:

http://www.preludedriver.com/wiki/index ... ngine_List

If you do get pistons, just make sure you get ones with the correct wrist pin diameter, as these can vary. I have that number somewhere, and can find it for you if needed.

For rods, Pauter & Carrilo make rods that fit. I believe that the big end and little end of our rods are the same as the rods from a Honda H23 engine, which opens up a wide range of options once you know the length you want.

The list goes on. The point being is that you CAN rebuild the stock engine if you want to. It's what I'm doing right now.

That being said, S-LudeDan is right in saying that swapping in an H22 can be an easier route to go. There are LOADS of parts available for that engine, not to mention turbo kits, etc. The swap isn't terribly hard either. All this just depends on you goals. Keep us posted.

cucurumbe
Lude Dude

Post by cucurumbe »

hey guys thanks for all the good advice. I do really want to keep the stock motor as i'm not looking to build a street rod. I just want to give her a little extra something. I noticed as i looked through the forum that there are some parts from acuras and other hondas that will fit my lude. i also plant to change the hood and put on a cf one since mine weighs about 900 pounds. So between adding a little hp and shedding some fat i think she'll be perfect.Just small things like. Can you guys help?

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Post by S-LudeDan »

absolutely. shedding some weight is a good idea. Also, do you have any plans for the suspension? are you lowering it? any interior or exterior mod plans?

cucurumbe
Lude Dude

Post by cucurumbe »

None yet. i know that i dont want to go too radical with the cosmetics. I saw a ferring kit on the internet and started bouncing that idea around. I dont want to lower it as its hard enough for me to get in now but i would like to tighten up the supension. I'm very open at this point. Any ideas? Oh yeah how do i post the pics?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

+1 for not going too radical with cosmetics. Preludes look great to start with.

For the engine, the most basic things you can do are exhaust and cold air intake. Good for a few horsepower, and a dramatic improvement in engine sound. Thermal R&D makes the best exhaust system for the 3rd gen prelude, but it's pricey (~$800 I think). Stainless steel though, and very well made. Great sound, but louder than most. This is a quality cat-back system if you want one. I'd like to get one of them eventually. Currently I have a PaceSetter cat-back system on my car. Much cheaper, but a reasonable kit for the cost. Sound is great. Nearly silent at idle, quiet through the revs, until about 3500 rpm and then it starts to shout. For the price, I've been very happy with it.

For a cold air system, there are kits from other Hondas that fit. Many people have found Integra packages to fit the lude just fine. I just went out and made my own. Not hard, and saved me hundred of dollars for a similar quality kit. If you want more info on this, let me know.

I'd suggest looking into a good suspension kit as well. Preludes are known for their handling. Don't forget that in 1989 a Prelude (albeit equipped with 4WS) outran every car (including all lambos, ferraris, etc) through the slalom. That was on stock suspension. And our super-low bonnet line...all done by Honda to get the weight right near the ground, hence the characteristic lean of our engines towards the back of the car. Sweet.

Dollar for dollar, the suspension I put on my car has been the best thing I ever did to it. Stock is fine, but once you drive a prelude outfitted with a good suspension kit, you'll know why people do it. I run a full Tokico Blue kit. That's struts AND springs from Tokico appropriately matched. Drop is 3/4", but you could probably find a similar kit without drop if that's a bif concern. Tokico makes a top quality product, and the warranty is equally impressive. Note that it's the same company that makes a lot of the suspension and braking components for the current Honda sport bikes (CBR, Interceptor, etc). Great stuff.

A note on suspension. A common mistake that people make is to just go out and purchase some tighter springs and install them. Please, please, please, don't be like them. Stock struts are not strong enough to handle the abuse of a higher rate spring. When people do this, their struts last a week tops before blowing out. They don't notice rolling around because the springs are so tight, but heaven forbid they every hit a bump going around a corner or have to brake really hard. If your struts are bad, it's wheel-hop and other badness that could land you in the ditch upside down or speed your exit from this life. The right thing to do is always purchase springs AND struts that are appropriate for the springs. Sure, you have to save a little longer, but your safety and the safety of those around you is worth it.

Shedding weight is also a great idea. Anything you can do to A) reduce rotating mass, or B) reduce overall mass will make your car quicker. Loosing weight is always the cheapest way to give a car a little more go. Lighter rims help as well.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Forgot to mention.

To post pics, you can just use the "Upload Attachment" feature. It should let you post 3 pictures per post. Use multiple posts if needed.

cucurumbe
Lude Dude

Post by cucurumbe »

Hey thanks for the great advice. I'm going to start researching the supension and pricing it this weekend . Also i saw your post on the cai and do want to try and build it on my own. It always means more that way. That's a big 10-4 on the stock rims too. I'll need to weigh them first to see where i stand. Now i want to start to find the parts for the motor rebuild since according to you guys its going to take some time and energy. Could you give me a list of parts that should stay oem for the prelude, parts i should grab off other cars, and parts that i should just get aftermarket??? If its not too much trouble. Oh and by the way i must have been sleep searching not to see that attachment link! thanks anyways. Hey cant send pics now but i'll figure it out and show her to you guys before we start the project. Talk later.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I would suggest that you keep as much OEM on the car as you can. Obviously you'll have to go with other brands for new rods, pistons, etc. But the rest, stick with Honda parts or Honda parts plundered from other cars. Keep the quality in your ride!

Can't wait for the pics.