Please help a noob

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ronsandaz
Prelude Enthusiast

Please help a noob

Post by ronsandaz »

I recently purchased a 2000 base with a stick and 104k on the odo. I took it today to get its emissions inspection only to discover that my computer would not communicate with the shop's machine. They tested the fuse and the relay and said both were fine, but could not get any kind of output from the car's computer. They wanted $100 to diagnose the problem and who knows how much to fix it. Anyone ever heard of this or are they taking me for the proverbial ride?

Also I notice a clacking or clicking sound from the engine that almost sounds like a valve hitting. From what I've read it could be that the timing belt and tensioner needs replacing, but I'm not sure how to tell for sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ronsandaz

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Please help a noob

Post by spiffyguido »

Hello, ronsandaz.

Congratulations on your purchase.

It's very strange that there were unable to get your car to communicate with the shop's computer. We they trying to use the service connector in the passenger-side footwell?

Here are some directions on how to find the service connector in case you need:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=318

I can't think of what could easily cause the connector to fail, short of a wiring problem. If I were you, I would almost take the car to a different shop and see if you have the same problem. The one place may just have been jerking you around.

The clicking/clacking sound coming from your engine could be a lot of things. Can you listen and try to localize the exact area the sound is coming from? If it is a valve, you should be able to hear the general area the sound is originating. It is possible that the timing belt or timing belt tensioner is making that sound. Has the belt been recently replaced? Timing belt tensioners are important parts, and if one fails, the timing belt often gets shredded. There should be a check panel that will allow you to see inside the dust gaurd on the timing belt end of your engine. I believe that one of these panels allows you to see the belt and the tensioner. Have a look and see if all is well.

Replacing the tensioner is relatively easy I think. Note that getting the torque on the tensioner bolt correct is VERY important.