Suspensions??

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

agreeingdegree
Prelude Enthusiast

Suspensions??

Post by agreeingdegree »

Alright I own a 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si. I have searched and searched but just can't come across any decently priced suspension systems. I don't wanna lower it any lower, so I'm thinking coil overs might be my best bet. another question is, do you know of any after market companies that make upper control arm bushings? i need a set for each side. and the only thing i can come up with is just replacing the whole control arm, but i can't find any either. the only ones i've been able to find i have to get from a honda dealer, and i don't wanna shell out $200 a side. any one know of a company that have bushing kits?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Suspensions??

Post by spiffyguido »

There was a company called Orijin Motorsports that made bushings for Preludes. They were supposed to be pretty good ones too. Not sure if they're still in operation or not.

Tokico makes a full suspension kit (struts and springs) for the 3rd generation prelude. Drop is about 1 inch. I have these on my car. They're superb.

I believe that HotBits also makes a kit that fits.

agreeingdegree
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by agreeingdegree »

alright thanks. how much of a drop did those tokyco's give you? i really don't want to lower it more than 2 inches. and what about companies that would have after market control arms, like the complete set? cause i have bad bushings right now but there are no companies that make bushings and that orijin company went out. so any other suggestions? and how interchangeable are the suspension parts on the gen 3 ludes with other hondas of those years, or even the new ludes?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You'll have to check Tokico's website to be sure, but I believe the drop is between 1 and 1.5 inches.

I don't know how interchangeable suspension parts are between Hondas. Struts from other Honda models MAY fit, but finding appropriate springs would be a challenge. The weight of the vehicle is important when building a suspension setup, and Preludes don't weigh the same as most civics, integras, accords, etc.

ez1973
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by ez1973 »

To spiffyguido - I was looking to upgrade the suspension on my 89 si and was already considering the Tokico shock/spring package. Your post convinced me! My only question to you is this - after installing the kit, did you need to realign the car or use any type of camber correction kit? My car is perfectly aligned now and I was worried about how the kit would affect the alignment, tire wear, etc... Thanks, Erik

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

No, I didn't have to do any adjustments. The kit doesn't lower the car nearly enough to affect camber. Unless you've got some grossly oversized tires on your car, the tire wear won't be affected.

agreeingdegree
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by agreeingdegree »

alright...I was wondering about integra parts? I was reading and I guess they MIGHT be interchangeable i was wondering if you could confirm this

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I've heard that as well, but I don't have any specific information about what is actually interchangeable. The struts and springs are likely very similar, but it's hard to say for sure. An Integra is likely slightly lighter than a Prelude, so any Integra struts might be slightly overburdened by the increase in weight.

gkzalo91
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by gkzalo91 »

how about if you want to drop your car more than 2" ? do you have any suggestions on which brand or company i should look into?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You'd have to use coil-overs. Maybe ones from Ground Control.

A Prelude dropped that far will be difficult to drive around town though. You won't be able to approach most parking lots that have an entry ramp without dragging parts. Is this for racing?

galeb
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by galeb »

I have a 1989 Honda Prelude dad has control arms that are splitting and I am not able to find new or used ones could a machine shop make these parts

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

galeb wrote:I have a 1989 Honda Prelude dad has control arms that are splitting and I am not able to find new or used ones could a machine shop make these parts
They might be repairable. You may have an easier time getting one from a wrecker, or perhaps off ebay.