Engine cuts out at 3000 rpm

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

jspulido1984
Prelude Enthusiast

Engine cuts out at 3000 rpm

Post by jspulido1984 »

I have an 1997 prelude engine its an H22A...the engine cuts out at 3000rpm ???? Im not sure why??? Please help

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Engine cuts out at 3000 rpm

Post by spiffyguido »

jspulido1984
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by jspulido1984 »

P1362....that relates to the two sensors behind the crankshaft..behind the timing belt at the bottom of the engine

P0450....evap emission switch

I have a friend saying its a crack block....but i ran it yesterday for 10 miles and didnt over heat or leak coolant

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Cracked block seems unlikely, unless you've been running the car really hard. Easy to check for by doing a compression test, and watching your fluid levels. Leaking coolant isn't the only way that you can lose coolant. It can also leak into the combustion chamber and head out the tailpipe.

You should probably try and resolve the engine error codes you're getting, but they may not necessarily be the source of the issue. Is the problem intermittent at all? Or is 3000rpm a hard limit all the time? Does the engine stumble at all as your accelerate up to that point?

jspulido1984
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by jspulido1984 »

Ok i will check the sensor that relate to those codes..... But in regards to losing fluids every thing looks good ...coolant is full and green.... Oil is a little dirty but has a good smell to it ....not burnt... Car doesnt smoke or anything.....
Also while driving it accelerates just fine...until i get to 3100 or 3200 rpm and then it just cuts out... The engine doesnt turn off it just stumbles .... I cant go faster then 60mph

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I've seen a faulty TPS sensor cause a problem like that. In that case, the engine would only go up to a certain rev range as well.

There is a relatively easy way to test your car for this. Since the TPS sensor responds to movement in the accelerator pedal, you just have to see if the accelerator itself causes the engine to bog if it is pressed to far.

For example, in the car that I saw this problem on, if you kept the car below about half throttle, it behaved normally. Any more than that, and the engine would immediately start bogging and the car would slow. This meant in practical terms that it would only go up to a certain RPM, but together with the bogging behaviour beyond a certain throttle position, it because easy to deduce the source of the issue.

It's one thing worth checking.

jspulido1984
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by jspulido1984 »

Well the prelude gods where with me because i solved my problem...thank you...
I started by troubleshooting the two codes I got from the ecm... i didn't pay to much attention the emissions code... but more to the P1362 code that related to the a pair of sensors that are next to the crankshaft pulley.... so there for i started testing the wires and connection going from the ecm to the CKP and TDC sensor .... two sensor ...one...four prong connection.
Starting at the ecm I took my multimeter and set it ohms ....so then I followed the wires all the way down to the bottom of the engine in between the crankshaft pulley and the oil pan....
There was no way I could test the actual sensor...so there for I had to remove the crankshaft pulley and timing belt cover and yes all the other stuff you need to take off..... and as soon as I took off the pulley and the timing cover I saw my problem....the camshaft pulley that is behind the crankshaft pulley some how grab the wires to one of the sensors and rip it....FOUND the PROBLEM....
But behold that was not my only problem ......im guessing when the previous owner did a JDM swap .....he did the timing belt and water pump I'm guessing. ... i say this because ....the tensioner pulley bracket for the timing belt was put back incorrectly therefore causing the lower timing belt cover to get damage by the crankshaft pulley ...had made a hole in the cover ...plus a couple of other problems. ... pretty much if the mechanic paid attention to detail all of this problems wouldn't of happend....
So when I put everything back together. ...started it...i let idle for about 5min so the engine could warm a bit........ then........i gave it gas .......then the prelude ROAR like the BEAST it is ....over 3000 RPM all the way to REDLINE.... i had the biggest smile from ear to ear.... job well done

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Awesome!