blue smoke? sluggish??

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

cody87
Prelude Enthusiast

blue smoke? sluggish??

Post by cody87 »

mk my 87 prelude is awesome and i am glad 2 be part of the honda community :D with that said, when i am driving in fifth gear and give my car just a lil bit more gas than usual, my car gets sluggish and blue smoke comes out the muffler but when i let off a little then its fine.................now i know that blue smoke means its burning oil and my valves are ratlling on top of that?!?! how do i adjust my valves from rattling and what could be the problem with my car? if u kno or have just the slightest idea id be more than happy 2 listen :)

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: blue smoke? sluggish??

Post by spiffyguido »

The blue smoke is probably from a bad head gasket or your cylinder rings wearing out.

The valves can be adjusted using basic tools. I believe the procedure is outlined in the service manual (see manuals section). PreludeDriver.com has also produced a video on how to do this on a 3rd generation Prelude. The engine model is different in the video, but the general idea is the same.

cody87
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by cody87 »

hey thanks man i appreciate ur input on this because i tried to look up the same problems online with other peoples cars and i was seeing people guessing that the pcv valve was clogged or the wiring main frame needed to be resoldered and to check the MAP,TCS, ETC. and it was confusing me lol but agian thanks.

cody87
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by cody87 »

hey is there a scan tool or something of the sort for obd0 ? cuz my pgm-fi light has come on .............

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Getting the ECU code is easy.

Just lift out the rear driver's side ashtray to reveal the ECU. Then, when your PGM-FI light comes on, count the number of flashes the ECU is showing. Let us know what code you get.

cody87
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by cody87 »

thanks but i figured out my problem and yall r prolly bout to be like gah wat an idiot lol but anyways come to find out i had put way 2 much oil in it.............go figure lol