short ram intakes

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

icu2gel58
Lude Dude

short ram intakes

Post by icu2gel58 »

Are short ram air intakes a good thing to install ?... I was looking into it for my 2000 Prelude and as you know there are always negative things to be said about almost every topic....One negative aspect of short air intakes, is they may screw around w/ the mass airflow sensor and cause the temperature of the car to rise. Also I read that because the air is a higher temperature, the result may be a loss of some power....Also, the car may run lean which can eventually cause engine failure....Given all this, what are your thoughts on short ram intakes?

Thanks again for your valued opinion

Mitch

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: short ram intakes

Post by spiffyguido »

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of 'short ram' intakes. They draw air from the back of the engine, which isn't a very fresh supply. If you're going to put an aftermarket intake system on your car, you want it to draw colder fresh air. The longer tubed cold air systems are a better option and can give you a few extra HP. Companies like AEM make great cold air systems that pipe air from areas of the engine bay where there is a fresh supply of cold air.