V-tec

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

icu2gel58
Lude Dude

V-tec

Post by icu2gel58 »

When does the V-tec power kick in ? In some articles i have been reading, when it does kick in, it almost feels like a turbo charger....Is it safe to run the engine up that high on the rpm scale..?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: V-tec

Post by spiffyguido »

It's been a while since I've driven an H22 equipped Prelude, but I believe it kicks in sometime after 5000rpm.

There is a noticeably surge in power, however it wouldn't describe as being similar to a turbo coming into boost.

It is safe to run the engine up that high when you're accellerating. I wouldn't spend long intervals in that rev range, but when you're picking up speed, go for it.

On a side note, the intensity of VTEC is tied to oil pressure. If your oil is low or the engine cold, you won't feel it much.

Have you never felt the VTEC in your car engage?

icu2gel58
Lude Dude

Post by icu2gel58 »

I haven't revved it that hi yet...It is not a manaual trans. I have the Triptronic. Just seems unatural putting it up that hi in the rpm's....So if I am in second gear say, I can accelerate up to over 5000 rpm's before shifting to 3rd without hurting the engine.???.I have never owned a manual trans car, so I guess i don't know anything about how to shift....Ah well, I think I will just baby the car. i wanna keep it for a while

thanks again for your inciteful replies
Mitch

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Yeah. Go ahead. Take it up past 5000rpm. You need to experience VTEC. It would be a shame to miss that.

icu2gel58
Lude Dude

Post by icu2gel58 »

allllllrrrrrriiiiitttteeeeeee then.!!!!!!!!!!!!

jccirish
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by jccirish »

While in Triptronic mode, if the RPMS get too high, it will automatically shift, or so I'm told (never tried it). You absolutely have to feel the VTec, it's a nice ride, especially the jolt and sound when it kicks in! This post was pretty old so hopefully you've tried it out!

prelude95
Lude Dude

Post by prelude95 »

u felt the vtec yet! i dont have a vtec but i run the hell out it all the time, shifting right at 6900rpm. and it has 267000miles on it :)

hueyp76
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 2000 base

Post by hueyp76 »

my vtec kicks in at 5200 rpms