Let's Talk Weight Reduction

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Let's Talk Weight Reduction

Post by spiffyguido »

So I did some calculations, and I discovered that reducing my cars weight by 170 pounds would be the same (power-to-weight ratio wise) as getting another 10 hp out of my car.

These are of course approximate values; I'm using the crank horsepower figure in my calculations and not the wheel horsepower. Still though, it's something to think about.

I've often wondered if I should focus more of my efforts into lightening my vehicle rather than fidding with the motor to make the car more nimble. Has anyone else done any weight reduction?

On my 2nd gen, I took out the AC system (which is very heavy) and it seemed to help a lot. Weight reduction should also provide a handling benefit as the vehicle will have less inertia for cornering (although, there will be slightly less weight on the tire-patch too).

Your thoughts?

Crank-up windows are starting to sound pretty cool. And who needs passenger seats? Extra people only slow you down.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Only thing I have ever done is when I go to the track. I pull the rear seats, passenger seat, trunk lining, cover, spare tire, jack and arrive with a minimum amount of fuel.

She's pretty fast on her own, but there is a noticeable difference in just that amount of weight reduction.

But yes, there is a definite advantage to losing the weight from the car body alone. But you'd have to do some serious weight reduction to bring signifcant advantage.

Less tire patch is resolved via stickier tires with lower PSI.

yunwawa
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by yunwawa »

I had a buddy with an ek that he stripped totally down to the bone except for the front passenger seat. It worked well enough to let him keep up with my stock00' si.
This tax return I'm planning on getting a 97 sh. I;m taking out everything and moving things around like the battery, fuel pump, seat rails. Not to mention almost going bare metal.
Main weight reductions that you see the most response from are hood, trunk, rims* (size matters as well as material), fenders. These are all things you can pop on and off for weekend fun. Not to mention your losing pounds not ounces like bolts. Do you have a half sized radiator yet?? Also seats, if you keep them don't have cloth, leather or that other stuff. Companies are getting more eager to produce CF seats for cheaper. I think I saw a german site that said they were like 550 a pair.
All of those things will give you your 170lbs...