new prelude owner (5th gen) needs a few hints!

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

laurencew
Prelude Enthusiast

new prelude owner (5th gen) needs a few hints!

Post by laurencew »

Hi All,

I've just bought a late 1996 (5th Generation) prelude, Burgandy colour (photos to follow). 2.2l Vtec H22A, Manual, 140,000kms. It's has the Honda sports factory option (lowered on sports suspension, body kit/rear spoiler, gold badge detailing), all stock otherwise. It's my first Prelude, and second Honda (owned a '91 Inspire a few years ago)

What potentional problems/pitfalls should I look out for? Any mild mods I should consider for reliability and to enhance performance etc.? Just interested in getting the best out of her. Everything seems to work great so far, really enjoy driving it. First gear seems a little...underpowered? (in my limited experience) - have to change quite quickly into 2nd to get her moving properly.

Any thoughts or assistance gratefully appreciated! Probably only interested in mild mods (you shouldn't mess with perfection :-))

Cheers
Laurence

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

laurencew
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: new prelude owner (5th gen) needs a few hints!

Post by laurencew »

Oh yeah, it's an NZ-new VTi-R model. Black-top VTEC. No ATTS.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Sounds like your car is already in good form, so I'd suggest that you focus primarily on maintenance related items at this point. If you haven't already, find out when the timing belt was last changed, check the fluids, change the oil, jack up the car and check all the bushings and bearings. You've likely just got to do standard upkeep to keep her in top form.

If you're looking for mods, I agree that there is no point in getting too radical. Having said that, a good exhaust and intake system can be good fun. You've already got the sport suspension, but if you feel you'd like to firm things up a bit, a nicely matched set of struts and springs can do wonders for handling. Stick to the basics, and put only quality parts on her and she'll last a long time.

Pics!!

laurencew
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by laurencew »

Thanks! Sorry for the questions, but I have a few:

-Aesthetically I like the standard (twin) exhaust - but if I didn't want to change the look too much, and get a reasonable benefit, what should I consider? and maybe , how much should I budget for it?

Thanks for the tips. By the way, How do I post photos to this site?

Cheers
Laurence

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Adding a cold air intake system won't change the appearance of the car at all, except under the hood. I'd budget about $300-$400 for a quality system.

As long as the suspension doesn't lower the car it won't change the appearance, but can really firm up the handling. I'd plan on spending $800, or maybe more for a good set of struts and springs. There are kits that are less, but suspension is not a place you want to get cheap parts.

As for your exhaust:

You mentioned "twin exhaust". Do you mean that you have two pipes coming out the back? Stock Preludes only have one pipe coming out the back. Has the car been modded?

To post pictures, use the 'Upload Attachment' feature or link to pictures using the 'Img' button. Some people link pictures from their photobucket or flickr accounts.

laurencew
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by laurencew »

Ah, perhaps I should clarify: there are two outlets, protruding from the same muffler, on the right-hand side. So, "one exhaust, two pipes" I guess.
Laurence

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Ah. That makes much more sense.