Holy Moses

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

Holy Moses

Post by 1990whitepreluded »

I bought the Pacesetter Monza exhaust for my 90 si....let me tell you...unless you have a cat or some sort of resonator that thing sounds horrible....pop,pop,pop,bangbangbangbangbang... I was able to get my local shop to go with a cat delete and as soon as I cranked it I knew it was not for me. It was like every ricerocket out their "very loud" so anyway seeing that my cat was shot we put a glass resonator on it and it sound just a bit more throaty than stock which is exactly what I was shooting for. Bad news is by the time I was done I was only $100 less than all Honda stock parts....boooooo! Anyway will post pics soon, she is going in the shop for paint on Friday....very excited. More Bad news....I guess the cat was storing burnt oil because before I changed the exhaust I was not getting much blue smoke at all, but lots of black when I would stand in it. So I suppose the cat was burning the oil more completely and leaving me with lots of carbon....Now that its gone blue smoke galore. Needless to say I am about tapped on money, but come winter I will either build a salvage b21a1 and swap, or I will just pull this one and rebuild. I have never done it before, but I assume it is slightly more doable than say figuring out a female....so Im in!!!!

:)

CC
- Do What You Can With What You Have Where You Are - Theodore Roosevelt

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Holy Moses

Post by spiffyguido »

Glad to hear you got everything figured out. I was very surprised to hear that the Monza was loud on your car. Mine sounds very throaty and is quiet below about 4000 rpm. I do have a cat though, so that might be part of it. Anyway, I'm just glad that you got it working to your liking.

Regarding the blue smoke, you probably just need some new rings. It isn't hard to change out the rings, but if you're interested in doing a full engine rebuild, that would be great as well.