New member, Honda Prelude 1988 Trans.. Question

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

militos
Lude Dude

New member, Honda Prelude 1988 Trans.. Question

Post by militos »

Hello fellas, I'm new here, and to be onest with all of you, I allready used some of the tips of this forum to fix things on my 1988 Honda Prelude(none 4wheels sterring).

I replaced the Fuel filter after reading about the surging isues,,it's all nice and smooth ride now.

One thing just happened this weekend, my clutch wen out, I'm replacineg it this comming 4th of july weekend, but before I get down and durty, I want to ask all of you if you have ever replaced the trainny with one that wont give you so many RPN's at 65 Mph?

My Car drives really nicely, but at highway speeds I'm going 65mph, and the tachrometer reads 3000rpm's !! for me that si to many RPM's, most cars I have,,they run arround 3000rpm at 75, 0r 80 mph!

please help.

another thing, is my temp., it get's hot in trafic, I read the posting about the fan may be it, but there are two fans,,and only one turns on wen hot,,is ther a fan for low temp, and the secondary one for like really hot asistant??
please le t me know,,,the car runs great in temp at hig way speed.

thanks.

sincerely:
militos. Redwood City Ca. ( my english is really bad,,sorry, I'm Mexican).

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: New member, Honda Prelude 1988 Trans.. Question

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Militos,

Welcome to the forums.

The rpms that you are getting at that speed are perfectly normal. Since you probably have the B20A5 engine, you already have the transmission with the longer gears in it, so there isn't a swap that can help you with this.

Regarding our engine temperature: How hot does it get in traffic? If the fan is coming on, it's probably fine. There is a sensor you can replace if you are really worried about it. How far up the temperature gauge does it climb?

Only one fan should come on. The other fan is part of your air conditioning system.

militos
Lude Dude

Post by militos »

Hello Spiffyguido, thanks for the tech fast response.

RPM isue, great, so I dont have to worry about this.

Heat, the temperature gauge needle gets very Hig,,about 1/8" away from the REd mark!! I never had a car that got so up there in temperature,,and sounds like the Fan Runs fine,,but may be starts late sometimes!!!sometimes I hear the fan starting just wen the needle is about to touch the red line, some times the fan starts just about wen the needle hits alf way in the gauge!! wich looks normal to me,,so I think my sensor is not reading accurate,,I will replace that.

and the Air condithioning....that thing,,I think some one disconected the power from the compresor,,because everything looks like is there, but wen I press the compresor switch, it dosn't engage..it wont stay on...even that the light in the switch looks green, may be the previus owner disconected the air conditioning system, due to the over heathing issue.

Ho well, I got this car last year, and have been really good, exccept for what I have mentioned....I will need all the struts replaced too, they all make some very anoing hell of noise!! (it is enbarazsing).

I'll bring some pictures some time next week.

HO,,will you please tell me were this Temp Sensor is located in the car?

Thanks.
militos.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The sensor that monitors the temperature in the radiator is bolted into the bottom of the radiator on the engine side. It is slightly towards the passenger side of the vehicle if I recall. If you crawl under your car and remove the splash-guard you will see it right away. I believe the part number is:

37773-PH2-004

You can see it in this diagram:

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay ... quantity=0

Part 31 on the diagram.

militos
Lude Dude

Post by militos »

Thansk for all your Help, I replaced the colling thermostat and that works, the car runs really cooler now.
I replaced the Fuel filter (the one in the engine compratment by tthe firewall, and that cured the engine surging problem.

I left a AC , and a speedometer cable/electronic question somewere in the forum,,I got lost,,

Thanks again.

militos.