no acceleration after warm up

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: no acceleration after warm up

Post by spiffyguido »

I think you've got the basic bases covered.

Air - You have air. We know that.
Fuel - Fuel system is good. You have fuel.
Spark - You've looked at this. Provided timing is right, you should be all set.

This leaves the ECU, which may still be having trouble metering fuel in for you for some reason. Is the ECU throwing any error codes at the moment?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

Crash_Control
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 92 base

Post by Crash_Control »

Yes that fuel pressure is close enough if you allowed the car to run for a while and let the fuel pump warm up.
You can some times get a difference in pressure readings just by using a different pressure gage.
We have three different fuel pressure gages in the shop here and they never agree with each other as long as they are within about 10% it all good..

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

It's throwing a code 12. Tried a different EGR valve but that didnt make any difference. What about an O2 sensor?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Code 12 indicates that the EGR is having trouble, so fixing that code should be your top priority. For some reason the ECU believes that it can't get a good reading off the EGR. You've tried multiple sensors. Have you checked to make sure that the wiring is good and that the feeder tube is functional and hooked up?

Do you know if the EGR control solenoid is working? There is a test in the 3rd generation service manual in the Manuals section that should work on your car to check this.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

One other thing:

Did you get the issue with your distributor sorted out and the engine timed correctly? Poor timing could cause a mess of other problems.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

That is the one thing that i have not tested, the EGR control solenoid valve. Completely skipped that in the shop manual. If it is not raining tomorrow i will test it then. I am starting to pull my hair out trying to get this thing to run right.

When the shop changed the timing belt would they normally check the timing.?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Yes. A shop should always set the timing when they do the timing belt, so you should be fine there.

Let us know how it goes with the EGR Solenoid.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

well i may have finally found the problem. Went to start up the car to run the EGR Solenoid test and the car started and died. Wouldnt start again and noticed the fuel pump was not coming on. Fuel pump may have finally given out. It was getting progressively worse ( quicker stuttering and shuddering each time we started it up and test drove it over the last week or so). Started to remove it to test the 2P connection but it started raining. I cuss the japanese and their small hands(lol) each time i start working on something. Hope this solves the problem when i get a new fuel pump which will be a little bit because i have to save some more $$$ for the part after the timing belt fix.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Interesting. And this even after you had tested the pressure. It must have been on its last legs.

Anyway, glad that you found the problem. Keep us posted.

Crash_Control
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 92 base

Post by Crash_Control »

Not that it is the ever popular power relay gone wonky and is in need of a resolder.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

We checked and we are getting power all the way back to the 2P connector at the pump just like we should, so that leaves just the fuel pump itself.Hey at least something finally tested OK for a change.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Can't wait to see this resolved. You've had quite a run with this problem. Hopefully swapping out the fuel pump will get all running sweet.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

FINALLY RUNNING! It was the fuel pump. That has got to be one of the worst things i have done. It wasnt bad taking it off or hooking it back up but getting it mounted the way it is supposed to be was a different story( the mounting plate was a bitch). Never again. Runs great now , although i have a small gas leak somewhere from the tank to the pump, probably an old hose or a crack. That shouldnt be a problem though. Now on to the smaller items, next will be to diagnose the PGM-FI light thing.
The only other thing i am worried about is a whing sound when i slow down in lower gears. I really hope the tranny is OK, could be the torgue converter also. Just have to wait and see. I'm sure you will see me posting more soon.LOL

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Very glad to hear that all is working now.

Stay in touch.