Finally up and running!!

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Finally up and running!!

Post by kytarheel71 »

I finally got my 87 si on the road yesterday. Been rebuilding the whole front end since last fall and a used transmission installed. Finally! I love it, didnt miss a beat, didnt leak a drop of anything, handled awesome. Drove it for about 2 hrs and didnt want to get out. Now for the body work. Not much of the original red paint left, sorta of a rusty-red-brown-gray-pitted color. Several several small things left to do but it is running greatand thats what matters.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Re: Finally up and running!!

Post by kytarheel71 »

By the way, just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me out with your great advice. This site is great!

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Glad to hear it. Always good to hear of another Lude back on the roads.

Post pictures! We'd love to see your work.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

I'll get some before pictures posted, but the after pics will be a while down the road.It will be a while before the body work begins.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

The PGM-F1 light is driving me crazy though and i posted another problem i'm having, it's in the thread i think eng codes or something like that.

By the way, this thing handles like nothing i have ever driven before. Friggen awesome!! cornering.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Yeah, they're amazing little cars. My 2nd gen put a smile on my face every day as it zipped through corners.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

In your experience, what would you suggest for 1st try at the PGM-F1 light.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

What code are you getting?

If you haven't gotten the code, you can get it by popping the ashtray out of the driver's side rear seat armrest. Look down the hole where the ashtray goes. Count the flashes. Short flash = 1. Long flash = 10.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

I will check it tomorrow hopefully after work.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

Ok i just went out and checked it real quick and I got 12 short flashes.

Where are u getting the codes from. I have a honda shop service manual but i am looking but cant find the codes.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I posted a code guide in the Write-Ups section of the 'General' forum.

Are you sure you got 12 flashes? For a value of 12, I think it would have done 1 long flash and 2 short flashes. Unless those older ECUs only give one type of flash.

Multiple codes can be read back as well. The ECU will flash out a code, then do a longer pause, then do another code (if there is one), then another longer pause. On and on until all the codes are sent, then the whole thing repeats.

If it is a 12, then this correspondes to the EGR valve.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

IT kept repeating 12 short flashes then a pause then 12 short flashes pause , same thing over and over again.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

Everything that i have read(symptoms) points to the EGR valve. Can it be cleaned out or serviced or should i need to replace it. That thing is expensive from what i have found so far.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Code 12 it is then.

I've never had trouble with an EGR valve before. I'd start by taking it off and trying to clean it up. Clean the feeder tube as well. Pretty good chance that the whole thing is just gooed up with soot and other junk that has been spewing out of the engine over the last 20 years. It might take a little doing to get the valve off, but if you can clean it up and have the code go away that'll save you some money over getting a new one. There's always ones from a wrecker as well.

As far as cleaning it, you're going to want to get some pretty aggressive solvents. Carb Cleaner and Varsol will be a good start. Please be sure to handle these chemicals safely. We're all car guys on this forum, comfortable with scary substances, but I always still try to promote some environmental and personal safety. Wear safety goggles, work in a well ventilated area and properly dispose of any leftovers you have by taking them to your local HazMat dump (often at fire stations).

Hit us back with more replies. I'm interested to see how you make out with this. Check the shop manual in the manuals section as well.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

If i need to replace it, do u know if any other models are interchangeable.