water pump bearings?

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

water pump bearings?

Post by kytarheel71 »

i replaced the 3 belts on my 87 si. When we went to start it, it made an awful squealing sound (very painful sounding). We shut it off and checked everything, readjusted the tension on the alternator belt. Tried it again and same thing with a little smoke this time. The water pump pulley got extremely hot. Tried it again and same thing, water pump pulley scorching hot this time. We had the belt tension to tight to begin with and i think the water pump bearings are torn up. Does anyone have any other ideas or am i on the right track.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: water pump bearings?

Post by spiffyguido »

I think you might be on the right track. Although I don't know what kind, the water pump will have a bearing set of some kind, and if you have scorched the bearings, then bad things will happen. When you overtightened the belt you may have put too much load on the input shaft ofthe water pump. I'd replace it for good measure. You don't want it seizing up and snapping your timing belt. That'd be bad news all around.

Could you telll that the sound is coming from the water pump?

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

It sounded like it, but it was so freaking loud that you could'nt get close enough to it. That was the only pulley that got hot. I felt the alternator but it didnt feeel hot. I am going to pick up a new water pump and replace it this weekend for good measure. I hope that ends up being what it is. I really want to get this car running.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Yeah, replace it just to be sure. Water pumps aren't that pricey, and it's a good idea to replace them often anyway. Saves you from the risk of a timing belt snap.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

Well we tore into it today and we were wrong. It's the alternator. After we got the belt off we discovered that the alt. is locked up. Still gonna replace the water pump while we are in there though, hopefully we can get everything done tomorrow.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

That's wild. So was it the belt, or the bearing set in the Alternator?

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

All i know is the bearings in the alternator are seized. We are replacing it today. Have you ever had to change your water pump in your car, this is no easy task.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Yes, but I had the timing belt off at the time so it wasn't that hard.